• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2019 - Cannot position a print image on a page

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The facility to precisely position the print of an image on a page is important for me. It has been a regular feature of PSE. In the Print dialogue one unchecks 'centre image' and then inserts the required position measurements from the edge of the paper for both top and left margins. I have just upgraded from PSE12 to PSE2019 and I cannot get it to work. The image appears in the centre of the page preview with a thin blue outline which Adobe call a 'photo holder'. When I try to position the image as described, the blue outline remains stuck in the centre but the image disappears out of view under the white margins. Reminds me of a Harry Potter portrait hiding behind its frame. I thought maybe it would print out anyway but it doesn't - all I get is plain white. Has anyone else experienced this or found a fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Elements 2021. I experience the same flaw with Mac os Catalina after an update. Very annoying and no solution so far.

I now use Pages to print photo's in the right place.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really disappointing that Adobe have perpetuated the flaw into PSE 2021. I am still on 2019 but was poised to try 2021 hoping it had been sorted. Surely it is such a simple thing for them to do. It  was fine in previous versions so the software is there and they obviously intended it to work because the manual says the co-ordinates can be entered to precisely locate the image on the page.  Adobe obviously do not read these columns and I have no idea how to contact anyone in Adobe. I am going to put the following in capitals to see if someone can help - DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO REPORT A PSE BUG TO ADOBE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem with the last several PSE releases, now on 2021 on Windows 10.  I, too, find it very irritating.  There is a kluge way of getting around the problem by setting the canvas size (with a white extension color) to the same size as the paper size.  That makes the "photo holder" that same size as the paper size and you can drag the image freely around without parts of it doing the Harry Potter thing.  You can also use different canvas sizes to put the image where you want on the paper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks NoelNMN

Worked, very helpful solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am a Mac user and had the same problem positioning a photo to where I wanted it to be on the paper.  Adobe recently released a fix which now alows me to position photos to my choice. With the photo in the blue frame  placing the cross-hairs on the frame I can now position the photo.  As the blue frame is moved the dimensions in the box change accordingly and show where it sits on the page. If you enter the dimensions in the box first then the photo moves outside the frame and will not print properly.  I'm not sure that it will allow positioning to fine limits but it's better than not being able to reposition the photo at all. Having sized the photo it seems you then have to select the right size of blue frame or choose the Actual Size option in the menu otherwise the system will resize the print to fit the blue frame as displayed in the menu. The blue frame is a nuisance and shouldn't be there at all.  The fix is not ideal and has been a long time coming but at least PS Elements 2021 is usable for me.  My Mac shows the version I have installed is Version 19.0 (20210811.m.158081) x 64.  I hope this helps.

Regards,

Charlie*C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes after the update with the fix, a lot better. I can move the frame again and used it.

Thank you for posting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roy in Surrey,

If you haven't seen it already, I have just posted some information about a recent fix by Adobe on positioning a photo which might help you. I'm not conversant with PSE 2019 but as a Mac user I also found when using PSE 2021 that entering the photo's co-ordinates was of no use. However, the fix released by Adobe does mean that as the blue frame is moved around the co-ordinates appear in the Dimensions box. My post has a bit more detail which might be of some use to you.   

Regards

Charlie*C. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Charlie C.

Yes, thanks for that, just picked it up. Interesting. I had stumbled on finding the whole image could be moved by clicking on the blue frame. It does help for one of my applications. Typically I use some sacrificial photo paper to print out a small test print of my image before going for the final large perhaps A3 print. I like to use up as much of the sacrificial paper as possible, often with test prints side by side, and I can roughly do this with the blue frame 'fix'. However my presentation requirements require images to be precisely positioned or lined up and as you say this is problematical as it stands. The really peculiar thing about this is Adobe clearly intended the user to be able to insert the precise co-ordinates because that is exactly what it says in the User Manual and precisely the facility which has existed in all previous PSE versions. My guess is they fiddled around inventing this blue frame thing and threw the baby out with the bath water. They should put the Harry Potter books down and concentrate on restoring what was clearly a valuable facility to many users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Roy in Surrey,

I've tried replying to your message (see below) but struggle to see just how this site's mail works.  I don't know if it was ever posted or if I'm replying to a private message or via the Community.  Why is nothing clear and simple these days!!   

Prior to using PSE 2021 I was using Elements 6, how old is that!  Back then it was easy to position a photo on the page although the co-ordinates were not particularly accurate.  The passing years have only led to yet more applications I will probably never use and form has taken over function in many areas.  The trouble is I'm getting on in years and even the use of the English language now can elicit the, "What do they mean?",  response from me.  

As to your problem with the co-ordinates, when you move the blue frame the figures in the co-ordinates box change acordingly.  Are they not accurate enough for your purpose?  Luckily I don't need that level of accuracy and just rely on a visual placing.  I only use the software for very small adjustments in exposure, colour, sharpness and size so PSE 2021 is not really aimed at users like me like me. Even toggling between before and after adjustments now seems to involve a delay.  There's probably too much pressure to get new software out these days so it's never fully tested consequently they rely on feedback to identify problems which by that time could be difficut to fix.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines