• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2019 - moving app and files to a new drive

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently fitted a SSD to my Windows 10 PC and successfully moved the PSE 2019 application files from the current HD but after copying my images files, and creating a new catalog, I loss the albums, tags, people recognition, etc.
"Save Metadata to Files" before backup and copying was actioned.
I've also carried out restoring a backup to the SSD but with the same result.
Any help would be appreciated.

TOPICS
How to , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very frequent issue today is that more and more users are using a small SSD for their main system drive.

Either they start with a new laptop or they replace their old conventional drive with a small SSD. In both cases, they have to optimize the small space of the SSD. According to the most recent advice on Adobe forums, the small SSD should be used for the Operating system, the application softwares and the cache of the OS.

Since we are working with Elements, we must take into account:

- the program itself (on the SSD unless it is really too small.)
- the catalog folders

- the data (media files)

- the scratch disk. (managed in the editor preferences, performance)

The most recent and important advice is to put the scratch disk on the SSD if it's large enough. That can be on a different dedicated SSD if your desktop allows it. Even on an USB3 external drive.

The old advice to store the metadata on a separate drive still holds true. Even on USB2 external drives.

Theoretically, the catalog data will be managed in RAM or scratch disk, so storing them even in external drives does not make a noticeable difference. Storing catalogs together with media on an external USB drives allows sharing everything alternatively on two computers.

So, your choice will depend on the size of your SSD and if you can have also conventional internal or external drives, preferable USB3 ones.

For the way to move both catalogs and media files to another computer:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catalog-photoshop.html

You should not copy yourself the media files and the catalog, you must leave it to the backup and restore process; you don't have to import again, which loses a big part of your organization (albums, stacks, version sets...)

Other discussion about scratch disks (also applies to Elements).

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/what-is-scratch-disk-how-to-prevent-s...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

I initially had a 120GB SSD (designated C) and a 1TB HD (D)

PSE was on the SSD C drive but as I was run out of space, and it was the largest app I moved it, along with a few others, to the D drive. This obviously affected performance so I recently added another 500GB SSD drive and moved all the programmes that were on D drive.

I will study your links but am I OK with aiming to have both the program and media files, etc. on the same drive, i.e. the 500GB SSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: Initially I had the program files were on C drive and the data (media files) were on D drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will study your links but am I OK with aiming to have both the program and media files, etc. on the same drive, i.e. the 500GB SSD?

By @dave4jazz

I have just found a couple of posts in the "Photoshop ecosystem" forum recommending that.

I have just purchased a 1 TB SSD drive where I plan to move my system plus application softwares in my desktop. I am thinking about the best choice: cloning my small present main partition (150 GB) with Acronis or reinstalling from scratch. My catalogs and photo files are on a main external drive with dayly copies on other external and internal drives via Microsoft Synctoy and PSE backups each quarter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add my 2 cents, although it is probably OK to have program files on a separate hard drive, and it will work 99% of the time, there always seems to be an odd occassion when this causes problems.  So, I would always recommend that program files and all associated App Data sits on the system drive

By the same token, if at all possible, all data files, including all photo and video files should be on a separate drive.  There is very little PSE performance difference between external and internal drives.  However, copying to and from an external drive does take longer for heavy activity such as backups.  The real problem with having photo files on your system drive, is that these drives are more prone to fail or have system errors that require a reformat of the drive.  You then lose all of your photos.  (Of course these should be backed up, but most users are not methodical with their backups, so the possibility exists of losing some data.)

@MichelBParis, I strongly recommend that you perform a clean Windows install and reinstall all of your programs from scratch.  Although you will see a huge performance boost going to an SSD, starting with a clean OS and registry will provide an even bigger improvement IMHO.  I know it can be a lot of work, but I think you will find it worthwhile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input.

Currently, on my PC, I have program files on my new 500GB SSD and media files are stored on 1TB HD.

I make periodic backups to an external portable USB drive.

Maybe I should forget any potential performance improvements and just stick with what I have, i.e if it ain't broke why fix it. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After a lot of phaffing around I think I finally cracked it.

I carried out a new clean backup to my external USB drive and then Restored to the new SSD drive.

Had trouble Naming, and setting the Location for, the new Catalog as I didn't want to over-write, or delete, the current files on my D drive until I'm completely confident the new drive location is secure.

Thanks again for the help and guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines