• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2020 organizer - Can I use the Organizer with ONLY a portable drive? How?

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use PSE 2020 for digital scrapbooking, and I keep all of my photos in the Photos app on my Macbook pro.  I would like to use the PSE organzier ONLY for digital scrapbooking supplies (mostly jpg files), having them reside ONLY on a portable SSD drive.  I don't want to keep the digi-scrap files on my hard drive on my Macbook.  Is this possible?  How?

TOPICS
How to , Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can store your jpg and other media files anywhere you want.  However, if you are using an external drive, it must have a consistent drive letter when you plug it in after removal.

The Organizer is a database program that simply keeps track of your media and where the files are stored.

Once you have the files stored on your external drive, use the Import>From Files and Folders dialog to select the media on your hard drive and import them into your catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have consistent  drive letters on my external hard drives (PLURAL!) Organizer recognizes the drive letter, but if one of the drives is not plugged in (mounted), Organizer sees the files on that drive as missing.  Is there a way to have Organizer see the removeable hard drives as "external media" like DVDs?  I know to plug the drive in when I want to use one of the files, but when I want to look for legitimate missing files,I don't want to see the files from the drives that aren't plugged in.  Or does someone have another work-around to suggest.

I don't want to make more than one catalog.

Is there a way to make a printout of the missing files with their path?  Then I could just go through the list and look for files that aren't on an unplugged drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@debofca 

That's a different question from that of the OP.

Is there a way to have Organizer see the removeable hard drives as "external media" like DVDs?

No, at least not for external USB drive which are considered exactly the same as internal drives by Windows. That should work for cards or thumb sticks if you import from 'camera or card reader'.

I know to plug the drive in when I want to use one of the files, but when I want to look for legitimate missing files,I don't want to see the files from the drives that aren't plugged in.

I am not sure I understand your question. Do you mean you want to see the missing files sorted by drive letter to find real missing files from connected external drives?

I don't want to make more than one catalog.

I agree, it's a wise decision.

Is there a way to make a printout of the missing files with their path?

I don't think so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok. Let me move the post to a new discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines