• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2020 organizer drive out of space

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed PSE2020 on the solid state 220GB "C"drive  instead of the 2TB "D" hard drive . The PSE Organizer file is now filling up and I need to move the Organizer files intact to the D drive and operate from there or move the PSE program and Organizer files intact to the D Drive. I have 2 years  of work and thousnds of pictures I do not want to lose . I do not know how to do that , first attempt failed to reduce size of  Organizer file .

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I installed PSE2020 on the solid state 220GB "C"drive  instead of the 2TB "D" hard drive . The PSE Organizer file is now filling up and I need to move the Organizer files intact to the D drive and operate from there or move the PSE program and Organizer files intact to the D Drive. I have 2 years  of work and thousnds of pictures I do not want to lose . I do not know how to do that , first attempt failed to reduce size of  Organizer file .

By @robertc97997053

The size of the SSD is a bit short but can be manageable if you follow those steps:

1 - The Elements and Organizer program themselves don't take much space. Even you can install them directly into a different drive, I don't recommend to do that. No big space to be gained and a number of risks.

2 - The organizer does not store any photo/video files, only links stored in a database. So the necessary step is to move the photo/video files to your other drive (more on this later).

3 - The catalogs (the databases) takes much less space than the files themselves but they can easily be stored elswhere. That may take significant space when you save a number of different catalog versions. I recommend storing them on your other big driv like for your photo files.

4 - Important parameter setting for a fast workflow: the scratch disks. In your preferences you can define where Elements reserves some disk space to be used as a complement for RAM memory. I suggest reserving about 50 GB as the primary drive on the SSD and much more on the secondary drive.

5 - You also can spare some space on your SSD drive by moving some Windows system files on the other drive or other applications from the SSD to the big conventional drive.

Since the most important part of the gain of space is by moving the photo/video files out of the SSD, the best and safest way is to use the following procedure to move both your catalog and photo files to your other drive:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catalog-photoshop.html

That will not exactly 'move' them, that will 'copy' them, so you'll have to delete them from the SSD as soon as you have tested that the copy works as expected.

Apart from that 'move' solution by backup and restore, you can always use the left folders panel in the catalog to move a whole folder tree with its subfolders to another location on another drive by simple drag and drop. Not quite as safe as the 'move' solution, but you can move different folder trees progressively. The catalog is not moved contrary to the backup and restore solution.

The catalog, which is a folder (organizer menu Help > system Info) can be moved or copied to another location from the Windows explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines