• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2020 Version Set problem

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried my first edit since installing PSE 2020 and the version set functions does not seem to be working as I have known it in the past versions.

my workflow is :-

In organiser CMD-I to load Expert Editor, then do edits

Then CMD-W to close , Then Save which loads the Save As screen.

Then make sure that the Version Set option is ticked

The Save As field should now say filename_edited-1 , but it now just says the original filename, which means that I either have to type a new name or overwrite the original. Neither option is acceptable.

I have looked but cannot find a preference setting for version sets so am now unsure what to do. Have Adobe removed the automated _editied 1 suffix to the filename for version sets and expect us to type in a new name every time, if so it will vastly slow down my workflow.

Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have a solution. Thanks in advance for any help to fix this problem.

TOPICS
Bug , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think anything has been changed in PSE2020 for version sets.

Why do you use CMD-W instead of using the menu File >> Save as?

(I am on Windows with the equivalent shortcut CTRL-W which closes the file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just find it easier, that's all - it loads the Save As screen.

My problem is that it does not add a suffix to the file name when version set option is chosen like previous versions did making saving a longer process.

More research shows that it may be a compaibilty problem with the New Mac operating system (Catalina)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just find it easier, that's all - it loads the Save As screen.

My problem is that it does not add a suffix to the file name when version set option is chosen like previous versions did making saving a longer process.

More research shows that it may be a compaibilty problem with the New Mac operating system (Catalina)

I think you are right about Catalina even if I don't use Macs. You are using an indirect workaround to 'Save As' which relies on OS feature. You ask the OS to close a file which has not been saved (that's what CTRL W does) and the usual task of the OS in this circumstance is to ask the user if the file has to be saved before closing. The OS does not care if there is an option to 'Save' or to 'Save As'. It was fortunate that before Catalina the option 'Save As' was selected by default. I don't know if it's Apple's or Adobe's task to make the older choice the default one. What I think is that instead of using the workaround of CMD-W, the normal direct option to choose 'Save As' should work for you like for me in Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but using File/Save As does not solve the problem, it still does not add a suffix to the filename when the Version Set option is selected in the Save As screen, which means that I either have to type a new name or overwrite the original (which destroys the original photo).

It should work by changing the filename from XYZ.jpg to XYZ_edited-1.jpf when the version set option is selected but it doesn't, it just leaves XYZ.jpg in the Save As field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Thanks, but using File/Save As does not solve the problem, it still does not add a suffix to the filename when the Version Set option is selected in the Save As screen, which means that I either have to type a new name or overwrite the original (which destroys the original photo).

It should work by changing the filename from XYZ.jpg to XYZ_edited-1.jpf when the version set option is selected but it doesn't, it just leaves XYZ.jpg in the Save As field."

Sorry, I don't use Macs. I don't find any change in Windows.

Most Mac expert Mac users in this forum have postponed upgrade to the catalina version, so I think it would be faster to post your question in the feedback forum:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_elements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with the versiion set option in PSE 2020. A few weeks ago it worked and all of a sudden the version set choice is greyed out and I can't tick it and it is totally inoperable. It's very frustrating. Nothing I do seems to work. I use Chrome and windows 10. Does anyone know how to fix the problem. I can't even choose the version set choice because the field, as well as the stack field is greyed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suzan,

"I am having the same problem with the versiion set option in PSE 2020. A few weeks ago it worked and all of a sudden the version set choice is greyed out and I can't tick it and it is totally inoperable. It's very frustrating. Nothing I do seems to work. I use Chrome and windows 10. Does anyone know how to fix the problem. I can't even choose the version set choice because the field, as well as the stack field is greyed out"

No, you are not in Mac Catalina, so it has nothing to do with the original post.

Since I have not read anything new  about versions sets in PSE2020, I suggest doing this the following quick test.

- set the organizer to 'detailed view' (Ctrl D) to switch from the adapatative view if necessary.

- open an original file from your camera and edit it so that the change is very visible (desaturate, crop...) and try to save as a version set. You can also do it from an original raw file you have edited by 'Open in the editor'.

- When saving, check that the 'save in the organizer' button is checked.

Is version set option available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issues with version set. Organizer displays the little urh icon showing versions have been saved, but Expand Version set is greyed out. Ctrl+D also greyed out.

Win10, Good Dell processor, PSE 2020 v. 18.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please give more details on how you are creating Version Sets and provide screen shots for the Expanded Version set greyed out, also a screenshot for "CTRL+D" greyes out.

Regards,

Nidhi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you for replying. Today, Monday, all is working just fine. This type of issue is the hardest to resolve! If the issue returns, I will send the requested screenshots. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Although Elements 2020 and 2021 work on Catalina but there are few known issues. The one you are mentioning here around Version Sets naming, also falls into that category.

Please refer https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/macos-catalina-compatibility.html#known-issues for more details.

Regards,

Nidhi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines