Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2021.3 Update, Slow Internet Advice/Questions

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I just installed Mac PSE 2021 from DVD, and would like to update to 2021.3. I would like to get some advice beforehand, because I have a very slow Internet connection. In the "before times", I would just download a standalone updater on another computer with a fast connection, but that doesn't seem to be an option. I tried installing the trial version, but it isn't the most recent version.

How big is the update? The update message doesn't tell me how big the download is. I would like to know, becuase it can mean the difference between leaving it to download overnight... or DAYS (a non-starter if it's that big).

If I start the download, can I pause/resume or cancel it? I can't have it downloading in the background if I need to do something else with the Internet. I don't have the bandwidth.

If I have to cancel, will it resume where it left off, or will I start over from the beginning?

TOPICS
How to , Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2021.3 update is about the same size as the PSE 2021 trial version download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh! That means it will take me 12 hours to download, assuming nothing goes wrong.

Is it possible to pause and resume the download, so I can use my Internet for other things? If not, is it possible to just cancel the download without affecting the current PSE installation? Otherwise, I'll just stick with what I got, and hope none of the bugs affect me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 3 MB DSL connection- and it typically takes me about 8 hours to make the adobe download (usually aroound 3.4 GB)-  I start it, then go to bed. 

For me: the biggest problem is dropped connection.  I just pause the download in the edge browser, and pick it right back up- IF I don't drop the connection. . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your reply, it seems that the "update" menu item in PSE calls up your web web browser with a download link to a standalone updater rather than an in-app update, correct? If this is the case I wonder if I can just copy the link and use another computer to download. If it does use the web browser to download, it makes life easier for me.

My over-the-top hesitancy about downloading the update comes from my experience with Creative Cloud updating. It started updating before I had the chance to change the autoupdate setting. It used Adobe's installer utility; even though I cancelled it, I couldn't use CC until it finished. Also, cancelling meant it started over instead of resuming where it left off. Luckily it wasn't has big as the PSE update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not going to steer you wrong in this:  To the best of my knowledge you have to start the update from within the program- I coun't find a separate download for just a certain version of the program. I could be wrong, but I dont' think so.

WHAT THAT MEANS: You gotta start the update on the computer it will be installed, the one with whatever version of photoshop elements you wantto update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I misinterpeted something you wrote, "I just pause the download in the edge browser". I thought you meant Microsoft "Edge" browser. You must mean a PSE browser on the side panel. Sorry about the confusion.

Is PSE usable while the download is happening, or I need to wait for it to complete? If I can use PSE while it downloads, and can pause and resume, I'll have more flexibility. Otherwise, I'll have to block out 12 hours where I won't be using the Internet or Photoshop.... or I find an occasion where I will sleep for 12 hours 🙂

Thanks for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines