• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE 2021 doesn't show preview thumbnails when opening Nikon Z 50 NEF RAW images

Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I want to open Nikon Z 50 NEF RAW images in Photoshop Elements 2021, no preview thumbnails are showing, just icons that all are the same. Preview thumbnails do show when I want to open Nikon D70 NEF RAW images. What is going on?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The  Z50 requires at least  ACR 12.1.
The D50 requires at least ACR 3.1 (That camera is about 18 years old.)

Your thumbs.db files could be corrupted- you can search for all the copies of thumbs.db and delete them if you want- windows creates new thumbs.db files as needed. 

If you need a newer version of ACR, go here:  https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing to try.....

2022-06-26_162012.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Glenn, I've got ACR version 13.0.0.612 so no issue there. My PSE 2021 doesn't have, as far as I can see, a RAW default setting. Anyway, D70 files get me preview thumbnails, Z 50 files don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can open the Z 50 files, I just don't get the preview thumbnails before opening, very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a couple of hours since I first noticed this issue; just now tried it again and it works. Don't ask me why!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, no such luck. When I download directly from the Z 50 camera via USB I get the preview thumbnails, but when i download from the same files copied to my PC I don't get the preview thumbnail. I'll delete the files from my PC and copy them again and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted, copied, same problem: don't get preview thumbnails when using the files on my PC, but I do get them when using the files on my camera via a USB cable. Any idea what is going on? Thanks in advance for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted, copied, same problem: don't get preview thumbnails when using the files on my PC, but I do get them when using the files on my camera via a USB cable. Any idea what is going on? Thanks in advance for your help.

By @Frans2001

HI @Frans2001 

Remember that old conversation?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements-discussions/pse-2021-dropped-camera-raw-database/m...

I suspect your present problem may be related to the details in your workflow.

Unless I missed the following details, I am not sure which is your OS version and it does not seem that you are using the organizer. You are comparing two ways to 'download', one with an external tool (Windows explorer ?) the other with the organizer and its 'downloader'. With the organizer you can either get files from:

1 - camera or card reader

2 - files and folders.

If you are using the organizer, the downloading or cataloging module will show you the existing jpeg thumbnail created by your camera in the import window. After importing, the thumbnails that have been saved in the xmp sidecar will reflect the default raw settings.

If you import from an external tool like the explorer, I suppose you are able to browse your raw files and that an included codec is able to show the previews before you open the image or 'get files from files and folders' into the catalog.

In both cases, a new thumbnail is created in the xmp sidecar file and the catalog if using the organizer.

We need a more detailed description of your workflow to find if and where there may be a bug somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someimes when things get wonky- I shut down the computer for a few few minutes and  trun it back on.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get to what little raw preferences:

FILE> OPEN IN CAMERA RAW.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glenn, doesn't make a difference, still no preview thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update, I've offered al lthe help I can give.  I'm sure others will see you issue and respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Michel, I remember that well. Downloaded the Nikon NEF Codec and all is well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man oh man! I never even considered having to downlaod a codec!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can install the Microsoft Raw Image Extension, which enables viewing of the Nikon Z50 nefs in windows explorer.

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/raw-image-extension/9NCTDW2W1BH8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines