• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE freezes when using Crop

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the website I find several solutions but I am not an ICT-er, so I don't understand any of these options.

Can sombody explain to me in simple language what to do?
Is there no forum in Dutch? Only Englisch?
Help.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no other forum in foreign languages (except Japanese) but everybody can use one's own native or preferred language. Other members will use the translation tool and answer in their preferred language, mostly English. Just try it and don't hesitate to embbed screenshots or links in Dutch.

I have never seen anything in this forum about PSE freezing with the crop tool. If you can add links to the posts you are referring to for this issue, that would help. We need more info about your OS (Mac or Windows), PSE version and how you are doing your crops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michel.

See this link.

I have Windows 10 and PSE 2022

https://helpx.adobe.com/nl/photoshop-elements/kb/photoshop-elements-select-tool-crash.html

But I have no idee what they are talking about. I tried with google but could not find what they mean with:" locatiepad met double-byte tekens".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link you have given does give the explanation of the issue and its solution.

The problem is that on your computer, the Photoshop Elements program is installed in a location (= path) including some characters coded on two bytes; for instance normal characters like a, b, c, d, e... are coded in a single byte (eight bits) whereas special characters like the tilde (ñ) over an n need two bytes; accentuated characters of many languages are often coded on two characters. The program code does not recognize this case, that's a bug.

I suppose this only happens when you have installed Elements on a different location than the default. Check if the location includes special characters.

The solution is to uninstall Elements and to reinstall it either in the default location or in a location without any special character.

Just ask if you want more help for uninstalling or reinstalling. You don't need to 'sign out' or 'deactivate' your license since you stay on the same computer.

If you post a screenshot of the path for the Elements program, that will confirm that explanation. You use the 11th icon on top of the writing space to include a screenshot (keyboard key 'print screen', and in the editor: file > New > Image from clipboard'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel

Sorry, no printscreen. But I think you mean this:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2022

So no strange characters..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel

Sorry, no printscreen. But I think you mean this:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2022

So no strange characters..

By @Riekiki

Yes, the tech doc does not apply to your exact situation.

I would have suspected a problem with the GPU (graphic processor) but it is not supposed to be used for cropping.

If instead of using the crop tool, you use the rectangular selection tool followed by the command (Image >> crop), does it freeze?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have just installed Elements 2022, and imported a large catalog of files to the Organizer, the program performs a lot of media analysis on your catalog.  This can cause high usage of your computer resources and can interfere with other operations such as using the crop tool in the Editor.  Try turning off all media analysis by going to the Organizer's Edit>Preferences>Media Analysis dialog box and unchecking all the boxes. 

Snap_2021.10.11_12h11m38s_001.png

Let us know if that makes a difference.  If it does, you should allow the program to run overnight with the boxes checked so that the media analysis can take place without interfering with your other computer work.  Depending on the size of your catalog, it can take several days (or even weeks on a very large catalog) to complete the task.  The specifications/power of your computer can also make a difference in how long it takes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to Michel's comment about the crop tool and the GPU (graphics card on your computer), are you editing and cropping raw files, using Adobe Camera Raw?  If so, can you show us a screen shot of the Editor's Edit>Preferences>Performance dialog. 

Snap_2021.10.11_12h33m13s_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

In your red rectangle, you have 'description', and if you hover your mouse over the 'Use Graphic...' line, you get the description which states only adjust facial features and liquify.

I wonder if the GPU is used in PSE2022 for other features like the new warp tool. Perhaps also for the crop tool. Then the behavior of the tool may be different depending on the type of GPU. That could indeed explain the issue of @Riekiki.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps your experiencing delay due to Crop Pre Selection, which some users have reported in the past.

In the photoshop elements editor you can go to Edit>Preferences>General and

uncheck Enable Crop Pre Selection and see if that makes any difference.

Screenshot-(15).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all!
I did everything you all said (at least the things I understood..)
All the tools are working oke now. Also the crop tool.
Thanks to you all!

I have one more question,

Must I use the organizer??
I thought my files are on my PC and I open them with PSE...?
When they are also in the organizer, that will take extra space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Must I use the organizer??
I thought my files are on my PC and I open them with PSE...?
When they are also in the organizer, that will take extra space.

By @Riekiki

No, you can ignore the organizer if you want. However, the organizer does not store your media files, it stores only links to the location of the files on your disks. It's a bit like a super Explorer dedicated to image management, and works around catalogs in databases. There is no duplication of files.

As the organizer is a toolkit with many functions, it has to use a 'downloader', a program to import your images from your cameras or other files and folders. After the import, the files copies are managed on your computer, the original files on your camera or card are ignored.

I recommend to search about 'catalogs'; for instance in the text search line of the home screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines