• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE stops reading metadata after 2 years??

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read in another post that Photoshop Elements now stops reading metadata after two years, causing users to upgrade to the latest version after two years. Can someone else speak to this issue? Thanks.

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please link to the post. There are a lot of posts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The comment I referenced was a subset of a larger post and I cannot locate the original. Nevertheless, my original post remains clearly stated, "I read in another post that Photoshop Elements now stops reading metadata after two years, causing users to upgrade to the latest version after two years. Can someone else speak to this issue? Thanks." So, does PSE stop reading metadata after two years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as i know, photoshop elements does not stop reading metadata after two years.

Do you currently have a version of photoshop elements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stop reading posts that claim somebody else said something somewhere, but when asked for the source, can no longer find it.  
Jeff Arola, who probably knows as much about Elements as anyone not employed by Adobe, has given you a crystal clear reply. 

I could just as easily and clearly say that the post you read must be correct because I believe you when you say you saw it on the internet. I wouldn't say that, because I have been using the program for almost 20 years and I know that what you read in the other post is absolute nonsense.   Perhaps Jeff was too polite to say so.  Of course, if you are able to point us to a credible source with some verifiable facts set in context, I might be willing to change my opinion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, so kind of you to take the time to scold me for not asking my question in a manner that you consider appropriate. In the future I will include the link to the original post if I still have it available. You comment about Jeff providing a crystal clear reply may be true. However, I don't know Jeff and when someone says "As far as I know..." this doesn't carry much weight as I don't know how much credence to give to such a reply by someone I don't know. Jeff may be an expert at PSE but I had no way of knowing that. I will try to keep that skill level in mind if I ask another question and he is good enough to provide a reply. And thankyou to Michel... for finding the original message which I now recall was indeed in German.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably are a bit confused with this post from five years ago:

Solved: Why is my plan expired automatically after more th... - Adobe Support Community - 8734370

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's unfortunate that this thread has degenerated into an exercise in polemics.

The bottom line is that Photoshop Elements is not a subscription service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did read the original post. It. was in German and had got some answer in English.

The post has disappeared, probably moved to another forum or removed by a moderator.

The assertion that metedata did disappear after 2 years ended by the advice to use Affinity or Gimp instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michael3442, I apologize for the harshness of my response.  Normally, it is my position that there is no such thing as a stupid question, and you did ask for opinions about the comment you had read elsewhere.  In order to stop the spread of misinformation, I gave you mine as clearly as possible. 

I am a little surprised that you were unable to find the other post, when asked, since you were the one who translated it from German into English, a few days ago.  I agree that this forum is not the easiest to search.  However to assist you for future reference, if you click on your profile name above any post, you will find all recent posts that you have created.

And since you are unaware who you can trust on this forum, you can hover over the profile link of the poster and get some basic information about them.  Here is Jeff Arola's current profile link:

Snap_2021.08.15_14h34m43s_003.png

I hope you will agree that it establishes his credibility on this forum, particularly when compared to the poster upon whom you relied to pose your question.

Snap_2021.08.15_14h40m31s_004.png

Now, you still haven't given us any context for posing your question.  But since I try to read between the lines, here is some additional information that you may be interested in.  Adobe provides technical support for each version of its Elements programs for a period of two years from release.  And although there is no stated policy for this practice, I believe that the program will be updated to the latest Camera Raw at least until a new version of the program is released.  So, if you buy a new camera, an older version of the program will not be able to read the raw files.  And, obviously, the program will not be able to read any metadata from that new camera's raw files. 

Added: I have responded to your other question in the other thread which generated your post here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be dead before I reach those numbers....

2021-08-15_164813.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be dead before I reach those numbers....

@Glenn 8675309,

Not dead yet but after reading this thread,  I fear I may be losing my will to live. 

@Michael3442,

Metadata is just metadata.  It doesn't suddenly vanish or stop working unless the file, or software reading it, has become corrupted. 

Adobe Bridge can read metadata as can many other apps.

People upgrade their software for various reasons, not least of which is to keep pace with modern equipment and operating systems.  The expected shelf-life of all software is 3-5 years max. 

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original german post did not elude to following error message that was attached to the same post.

So that looks like a software error, not an adobe effort to criple old software.

In the original German message the error message attached says:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/elements12-is-slow-after-installing-ps21-amp-lr-cl...

Bild_2021-08-12_143320.png

"The file information command could not be executed because the metadata library could not be loaded."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to everybody for considering this issue. A bumpy ride it was. As I learn how these forums work my posts will seek to become as informative as those with more years of experience, but this will not happen overnight; as my profile states I am a "Community Beginner." I will later address my other post dealing with the severe slow-down of PSE12, I've experienced, upon the installation of PS21 and LR Classic. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines