Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pse11 won’t load large files [Unable to open Nikon D610 Raw files in PSE 11]

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I've always opened my raw files in Pse11 from my 10mp camera with no problem.

Have just acquired a 26mp camera and it's raw files won't open. My laptop was only 4gb so I've just upgraded to 8gb with no joy. That's the max my laptop will go to.

Any solution will be much  appreciated especially if it doesn't entail buying new computer🙂

TOPICS
How to , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Fortunately, this has nothing to do with your laptop or large files. As @Jeff Arola suspected, it's simply that the D610 requires a newer version of the Adobe Camera Raw plugin than is compatible with PSE 11.

Photoshop Elements uses a plugin known as Camera Raw to read proprietary Raw files from digital cameras. The Raw file format for each camera model is unique so Camera Raw must be updated whenever a new camera is released. Adobe issues regular Camera Raw updates which we end users must the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

In lieu of your camera raw plugin not being new enough for the Nikon D610, you can use the free Adobe DNG Converter to convert the D610 nefs to dng copies which should then open in pse 11.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that the 26mp camera's raw files are too new for pse 11's camera raw plugin.

Do you get any message when trying to open the files?

What operating system are you using?

What make and model of camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the duplication, don't know how that happened.

No msg. I drag and drop the file into the workspace and it just vanishes.

Its win10 on a Samsung R780 now upgraded to 8GB.

It worked ok with my Nikon D40x but not with my D610.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunately, this has nothing to do with your laptop or large files. As @Jeff Arola suspected, it's simply that the D610 requires a newer version of the Adobe Camera Raw plugin than is compatible with PSE 11.

Photoshop Elements uses a plugin known as Camera Raw to read proprietary Raw files from digital cameras. The Raw file format for each camera model is unique so Camera Raw must be updated whenever a new camera is released. Adobe issues regular Camera Raw updates which we end users must then download.

Unfortunately, the D610 requires Camera Raw 8.3 or later but your PSE 11 is only compatible with Camera Raw up to version 7.4.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-compatible-applications.html

You can see from the supported cameras link above that the D40x required Camera Raw 4.0 (or later) so Elements 11 has no issue opening those Raw files.

So what to do? 
See https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/why-is-my-camera-not-supported.html

Fortunately, you have a couple of options:

1. Pay to upgrade Elements to the current version 2022, which will also include a later version of Adobe Camera Raw. You can then open your Raw D610 files using Photoshop Elements, OR
  2. Stick with Elements 11 and download the free Adobe DNG converter.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/digital-negative.html
    You then use the DNG converter to convert all your D610 proprietary Raw files to the open DNG format. You can then open the converted DNG files (not the Raw files) in Elements 11. An extra step for you but no extra cost.

Tip: the trick with the converter is that it works at folder level. You must point it to a folder of Raw files (even if you're only converting a single Raw file), not the individual Raw files themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In lieu of your camera raw plugin not being new enough for the Nikon D610, you can use the free Adobe DNG Converter to convert the D610 nefs to dng copies which should then open in pse 11.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks Jeff

I've downloaded the converter and it works fine.

you've put a smile back on my face 😀

regards

John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines