• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE15-how to scan with imported scanner to JPEG format

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing my scanner and using PSE15 to scan my images they are in BMP.  I have two printer/scanners, both Canons.  The Forums suggest changing the scanners to scan in JPEG format.  I have successfully done that, such that when using the Canon "My image Garden" software the images are in JPEG format.  However, when I import the scanners to PSE 15 no matter what changes I make the images are still produced in BMP.  How can I change PSE 15 to scan the images using the imported printer/scanner and produce JPEGs or PSDs.  BMP images are not good enough for photographs. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2019 Jun 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Organizer or the Editor to scan the images?  If you are using the Organizer, the only options available, at least for my scanner, are jpeg, tiff and png.  Are you seeing something different?

Snap10_2019.06.23_12h23m34s_001_.png

If you use the Elements Editor to scan the photos, it seems that they will be immediately saved as a bmp file.  However, they are in fact opened in the Editor as a psd file and you can Save As the file into whatever format you wish.

Snap10_2019.06.23_12h31m51s_002_.png

BTW, the bmp format is uncompressed and is higher quality than a jpeg but creates a very much larger file.  I would say that bmp is the recommended format for scanning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have investigated both responses but neither option answers my question.

I import my printer/scanner via Editor and when I scan using Editor they result is BMP format.

The BMP result is not a good image (bearing darkened shadows on the face it was inferior to original and useless).

I do not agree that the result is better than JPeg or PSD. 

Yes I can convert the BMP image to Jpeg and/or PSD but this does not improve the quality - it only creates the same poor quality scanned image into a Jpeg and/or PSD.

Currently the only way around it I can find is to use Canon's Image Garden to scan (to JPEG format);

then  open that scanned image in PSE15-Editor in order to play around with the scanned photograph.

I am scanning old family photographs which require enhancing and PSE2 (my previous APP not compatible with Win 10) worked perfectly well.  I cannot understand why PSE15 is not better rather than worse than the very old PSE2!!!!  I am very disappointed. Adobe do not help, they simply suggest and expensive upgrade, but after my bad experiences with PSE 15 I am not at all confident that any upgrade would overcome the problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dess3  wrote

I am very disappointed. Adobe do not help, they simply suggest and expensive upgrade, but after my bad experiences with PSE 15 I am not at all confident that any upgrade would overcome the problem?

There is no "upgrade." Each version of the software is independent, meaning that you may have two versions on the same computer. A later version does not overwrite a prior iteration. If you are so inclined, you can download the most recent free 30-day trial and see if you like it.

I have digitized many old photographs and 2x2" slides in the cardboard holders, and for the photographs have used the scanning facility in my Epson scanner, saved the scans in a folder, and subsequently enhanced them in PSE individually.

Your statement: The BMP result is not a good image (bearing darkened shadows on the face it was inferior to original and useless) ​does not resonate with me. My 2-cents worth!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use the organizer as stated by Greg_S.

If you have quality problems, that has nothing to do with the file format (BMP is not widespread but it's better than jpeg).

Don't ask Adobe to support old (very old...) PSE versions, only current versions are officially supported, they will send you to this forum. You have been given the best advice here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines