• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE20 Slow and unable to save work

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had version 20 for 5 months. It's always been fast no problems. Last 2 weeks it's slowed to a crawl and I can't save scrap pages - I'm told they are over 2GB and they cerainly aren't. I've uninstalled and reinstalled no different. 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are talking about a scrapbook page with many layers, then it could very well be over 2GB.  How are you determining the measurement?   Can you give us a screenshot of whatever message you are receiving.

Are you able to save the page if you flatten it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes a scrapbook page. I have been making them for 10 years with various PSE editions. I have never had any problems before and yes there are many layers. The same page as a jpg measured only 52.3 MB Haven't tried flattening it. I really need it as a psd so I can go back to it if I want to alter. It saved as a jpg OK.   I couldn't find the 'saving files' as a help topic.     Scrapbook error.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your jpg is very large, so it doesn't surprise me that a multi-layered psd file exceeds 2GB.  What are the pixel dimensions of the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.  . .  and working with a large multi-layered PSD file will definitely slow down performance of the computer while working on it.  This suggests that you have not previously worked on a file that is so large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reply. I just can't understand why it has suddenly started playing up I have been doing the same type of pages for 10 years and have never had this problem. I think they are 300 I always use the same set up. I tried removing some of the layers but it made no difference. Looks like I'll just have to save as jpg. Thank you any way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bajolep said:

I think they are 300

I am not asking about the resolution in pixels per inch.  I am asking about the total width and height of the image in pixels.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.12.29_16h53m29s_006_.png

You could try reducing the total size of the pixels and still have an acceptable image for printing if that is what you plan to do.  If you reduce it enough, you may get the file under the 2GB barrier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again. I am making pages for calendars that will be printed. I see what you mean about pixels have a look at this

They are far too big aren't they. What do you suggest I drop them too to still get a good print.Screenshot 2020-12-30 14.47.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you could reduce the size to 25% of the current size.  For example a 15x12 inch image at 300 ppi would create an image size of 4500 x 3600 pixels.  (Sorry, but I can't think in centimeters.  😊

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.12.29_18h21m48s_008_.png

So, take a look at the actual print size of your document, and figure it out from there.  If necessary, you can probably get away with a lower resolution than 300 ppi.  This will reduce the file size even further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I need the finished page to be A4 size for the calendar. 29x21ins. Will that make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bajolep 

Thanks. I need the finished page to be A4 size for the calendar. 29x21ins. Will that make a difference.

If you set the dimensions to be 29 x 21 inches instead of 29.7 x 21centimeters for A4, no wonder you get a huge file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bajolep said:

I need the finished page to be A4 size for the calendar. 29x21ins. Will that make a difference.

A4 paper is 8-1/4 x 11-3/4 inches.  So, I'm not sure I understand your question.

The point I am trying to make is that your file will not save as a PSD because of its size.  You can reduce the size of the file by reducing the number of pixels that make up the file.  And since you intend to print to a regular size page, you only need a maximum resolution for the image of 300 ppi.  By resizing and resampling your image, you should be able to reduce the size of the file and print it without losing too much quality in the image.  And you should also be able to save it as a PSD for further editing.  Reducing the number of pixels will also speed up editing performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you - with all this help from you Greg and the quoting of numbers I realise where I have made my mistake. Of course I don't want the page at 29x21 inches how ridiculous!! I meant 29x21cm of course. No wonder my other pages saved ok it was just the last 2 I had problems with and a slip of my mind I typed inches instead of cm. I have a feeling that all my troubles have been solved. Forgive a foolish pensioner. My thanks to you Greg and to Michel I'm in NZ so it's late evening - I will be setting it all to rights in the morning. Thank you again for your patience in dealing with me and my problem. Good Night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines