• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE2019, tagging of image files

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSE2019 was purchased, downloaded, installed and activated on a Windows10 (x64). An older catalog (from PSE 7) was converted and new images were added. Pictures in the converted catalog were untagged.

Now I wished to do some tagging of pictures. Keyword tags were created. Tags were dragged onto  image files. The tags were visible in the in the selected image files for a couple of seconds, and then they disappeared and left no traces. No tag are now assigned to the image files.

Question: Is there a simple explanation to this strange behaviour, or coulld it be due to a corrupted installation of PSE2019?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a keyword is added to one or multiple photos the thumbnail usually shows a tag icon in grid view (ctrl+d if using the default view) and details are shown in the keyword list in the right hand panel.

To embed keywords you need to write metadata to files from the Organizer File menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding! However, in this case, no tag icon shows in grid view, and no tag details are registered in the metadata. Keyword does however show in he keyword list in the right hand panel. So, the strange behavior is that the tag icon disappear shortly after it has been dragged onto the selected images, leaving no tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bitubo  wrote

Thank you for responding! However, in this case, no tag icon shows in grid view, and no tag details are registered in the metadata. Keyword does however show in he keyword list in the right hand panel. So, the strange behavior is that the tag icon disappear shortly after it has been dragged onto the selected images, leaving no tag.

As stated by 99jon, when you assign tags, they are recorded in the database, not in the files themselves. You can use the command File >> Save metadata to files to save them into the metadata header of the file. Only then can you see them in the metadata section of the information panel. However you should see them in the 'Image tags' section on the bottom of the information panel even if they are not saved in the files. You should see them also on the bottom bar under the thumbnail when  it is shown at max zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you check a tag box in the Tags Panel, does it return a view of the tagged images?

Have you tried a repair and optimization of the catalog?

Also, can you show us a screenshot of your tags panel.  When converting from Elements 7 to a current version, the former People, Places, Events keyword tags have changed to a new system but the old ones may remain as Imported keywords.  So, I'm wondering whether this is a factor in what you are seeing (or not seeing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel that this case is a very "clean case". The catalog converted from PSE 7 contains untagged images only. I  created only one keyword tag, which is now the only tag in my tags panel. And when I drag this tag icon onto the image thumbnail in the standard view it disappears. No tag icon appears in the lower right corner (grid view). And when I check the tag box no picture is returned. So it is still a mystery to me. I have been using PSE for many years, version 4 and up, but I have never seen anything like this,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the Organizer top menu:

View >> Details >> Filenames

Then adjust the zoom slider to show more or less information under each thumbnail. You can also choose the items to display on thumbnails and show grid lines if desired. Let us know if that makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bitubo  wrote

I feel that this case is a very "clean case". The catalog converted from PSE 7 contains untagged images only. I  created only one keyword tag, which is now the only tag in my tags panel. And when I drag this tag icon onto the image thumbnail in the standard view it disappears. No tag icon appears in the lower right corner (grid view). And when I check the tag box no picture is returned. So it is still a mystery to me. I have been using PSE for many years, version 4 and up, but I have never seen anything like this,

I do believe you, but I admit I have never seen such behaviour.

So, should we suspect an issue in the organizer or in the catalog?

If you create a test catalog and do the same test on a new keyword, would it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Creating a test catalog and new keywords might be a good idea. If that still doesn't work, I think I shall have to try a clean new installation of PSE 2019. For different reasons that will have to be postphoned until next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines