• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quick selection tool not working

Explorer ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started using Elements 2021. The quick selection tool worked fine on the first photo I edited, but after that the normal circular shape of the tool changed into a shape like a cross, and it wouldn't select anything. The size and shape of the tool did not change when I pressed the bracket keys on my keyboard.  I restarted the computer and the tool went back to the normal shape, but when I began to edit a second photo it turned into the cross again. I can't find a way to repair the tool. Please help.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Turn off your Caps Lock.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences file. Go to Edit>Preferences>General tab and click the Reset Preferences on next launch button.  Otherwise, go to the Edit>Preferences>Display and Cursors tab.  You will find several options for the way the cursor displays there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

I was going to reset the preferences file, but a warning came up that said that could not be undone. Does that mean I can't change my preferences back to how I want them after I reset them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off your Caps Lock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peru Bob,

The problem did occur after I had the caps lock on to enter a password for something, but I turned it off. I still can't use the tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peru Bob-

Even though my caps lock wasn't on, I decided to try turning it on and then off again. And now my quick selection tool is working. I don't understand why that worked, but I'm thrilled. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darlene, after resetting your preference file, the program is taken back to its out-of-the-box state.  You can always customize your preferences from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Greg! Since I was scared to try it until I heard back from you, I decided last night to try following up on Peru Bob's suggestion about the caps lock. It wasn't on, so I tried turning it on and then off again, and the tool immediately went back to its normal circular shape. Crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines