• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

quick selection tool wont work in a layer

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just can't get the quick selection tool to work correctly in a layer, it only works in the Background or Background copy.

This is what happens: I first create a new layer. in this layer, I want to select the sky. I start dragging the Quick Selection tool from the top corner of the image, but it won't "snap" to the contour of the buildings on the horizon, instead it just goes over them and eventually selects the whole image. When I release the mouse button the selection disappears. Is only possible to use the tool in a background copy?

TOPICS
Actions , How to , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sure you had the correct layer selected?

2023-01-13_042119.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@paolovee , what exactly are you trying to do?  A new layer  has no pixels to select.  Depending on what you want to do, there are several options:

• Check the box to Sample All Layers

Snap_2023.01.13_8h22m54s_001.png

• Select the sky on the background layer and press Ctrl+J to copy just the sky to a new layer
  • Copy the entire background layer (also using Ctrl+J) and do as Glenn suggests by selecting pixels on the copy.

There are a number of other options but I'll wait for your response as to what you want to do with the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, i can see I'm being a bit naive. I thought you had to create a new layer every time you wanted to use a tool or apply an effect. So that you can go back and change thing if you have to without losing all your progress, if that makes sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or do I have to create duplicate layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@paolovee said:

I thought you had to create a new layer every time you wanted to use a tool or apply an effect. So that you can go back and change thing if you have to without losing all your progress, if that makes sense?

Yes, that is a good idea to have separate layers for separate effects so that you can go back and make adjustments.  But how you go about doing that depends on what you are trying to do with the end product.  I suggest you look at this HelpX article to help you understand layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's really helpful thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines