Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"something prevented the text engine from being initialized"

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suddenly can't use my Photoshop Elements 14 on my MAC because of the pop-up:

Could not complete your request because something prevented the text engine from being initialized.

Can you please tell me how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences:

reset preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Elements. This worked for me. (vOICEbBOX)

1. Go to the start icon button and click to open.
  2. Type inside the text box run. Hit enter.
  3. Type inside the text box appdata. Click ok.
  4. Click on the local file to open.
  5. Click on the Adobe file to open.
  6. You will see TpyeSupport
  7. Rename this file to TypeSupport.old
  8. Close out and restart Adobe Elements. I hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GO to : /Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Photoshop Elements/14.0/CT Font Cache

Rename <not delete> these two files present there:

• AdobeFnt_CMaps.lst
  • AdobeFnt_OSFonts.lst

Now relaunch Editor and try using text tool again.

Let us know if issue persists.

Thanks,

Anwesha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Microsoft updated Win 10 two days ago with their new features, I have the same problem 'Text engine could not be initialized'

The above info is for PSE14.... I am on PSE15.

Text was working properly before the Win 10 update... they are trying to force customers to use their tools imo.  I had to reconfigure Magic Edit Pro after the update.  not happy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me but to find the files to change I had to go to:

Users/(name)/AppData/local/adobe/typesupport/pse14

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(Photoshop 2024)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If the above suggested steps do not work. Please try modifying the normal template for MS office and check if it helps. You may try following steps

• Go to [user account]/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/
  • Rename Normal template (Normal.dot(m)) to Normal.dot(m)_old.)
  • Restart the computer
Hope it helps. 
Thanks and regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Elements 11 and my text isn't working either - I get the same error message as the other posters.  I thought it was because I'd updated Windows 10 to Creation last week, but I don't think it is (will explain later).

I don't have the users/name/library etc path on my machine.  It took me a while but this is how I resolved the problem (set folder to view hidden files/folders if you don't see the app data folder by clicking View/options/change folder and search options/view then click on 'show hidden files'):

c://users/name/appdata/local/adobe/TypeSupport

In this folder you'll see a file called AdobeFnt13.lst   I realized that this had been modified yesterday (24th May) for some reason, maybe Windows did another small update or something.  So I renamed this file to AdobeFnt13old.lst

Restarted Elements and text is now working fine.  I'm not a technie, just a normal home user, but I hope this helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you j_a_k for the info, fixed my issue.

On PSE15, I found that the file AdobeFnt_OSFont.1st had been changed on 5/24/17.  I renamed per your input to AdobeFnt OSFontOld.1st.  When I re-started PSE15 text is working again.

Thanks again, very helpful.

Francis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, j_a_k - Fixed me up, as well!

In my case; Photoshop Elements 15.0 - Windows 10 Pro - "something prevented the text engine from being initialized" error began following Windows 10's automatic update on approx. 6/22-6/23/17.

I was attempting to run the "Process Multiple Files" command to re-size and watermark a whole folder of photo files - something I do several times a week.  On trying to process the first file, I got the "text engine initialization" error pop-up.

I found the culprit file in the following location: C:\Users\[user_name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\TypeSupport\PSE15

Its last modified date (6/23/17) corresponded with the start of my problem.  I renamed - i.e. AdobeFnt_OSFonts.lst, as AdobeFnt_OSFontsold.lst - then, re-opened PS Elements and was able to successfully execute my "Process Multiple Files" command to re-size and watermark a whole folder of photo files.

Thanks again for the guidance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mcb adobe, thank you for the path for Windows!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you j_a_k fixed my problem as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh....My....Gosh! Thank you SO MUCH!!! I have been using Photoshop Elements 12 for years and am in the middle of a big project when all of a sudden I got a text engine initialization message. All of the other work-arounds didn't work for me...BUT YOURS DID!!!

thank you, thank you, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the ticket!  Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you So VERY much.  This was causing me such stress as I was trying to get some photos updated and ready for the weekend and suddenly had this problem.

J A K you're a hero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this worked like a dream. My wife now thinks I'm fantastic at fixing computers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This worked, I was really struggling with it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Elements 12. This worked for me. (vOICEbBOX)

1. Go to the start icon button and click to open.
  2. Type inside the text box run. Hit enter.
  3. Type inside the text box appdata. Click ok.
  4. Click on the local file to open.
  5. Click on the Adobe file to open.
  6. You will see TpyeSupport
  7. Rename this file to TypeSupport.old
  8. Close out and restart Adobe Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines