Re: Having mac users with issues working directly off of SMB and AFP share with photoshop.

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded from Photoshop Elements version 2020 to version 2021.     I have about 60,000 photo's in Photoshop organizer on a Synology NAS Drive.     When I run the 2020 version, it recognizes these 60,000 photos as online.    When I run the same catalog on 2021, it says the NAS drive is off line.     However I can import the same photo's on Synology NAS in Photoshop 2021 as new files.    This unfortunately will cause me to lose any organization I previously had.      I am planning to return the 2021 version if this is not something that is going to be fixed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is the case, I would not recommend using Photoshop Organizer for any serious photographer.     Local storage is very limited in size.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@stevehsimon wrote:

I have about 60,000 photo's in Photoshop organizer on a Synology NAS Drive. 

Hi

Photoshop does not have an Organizer, but Photoshop Elements does. They are two different applications. I'll move this from the Photoshop forum where you posted.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Photoshop Elements has never been intended to work with NASes but it can. Years ago, there was an official answer from Adobe that they would not support (help) in troubleshooting network issues with Elements. However, a number of users are still using them, which I don't recommend personnally precisely because of the lack of support from Adobe and the whole community. The usual issues are speed problems and backup or migration of computers. Sharing via a network is not practical as most users now turn to Cloud storage as well as family members who prefer to be independent from the home 'network master'.

You seem to miss the fact that the organizer can work with unlimited local storage with external drives.

For instance several 5 TB units. External USB drive are cheap, very large and offer excellent safety because you can have many backups or copies. NASes also require external backups, they are excellent solutions for backup but not so for main storage.

I am not a Mac user and I'll never use NASes, but I can sugget a solution to your issue which is to recognize the NAS when the files are shown as 'offline', which is different from 'disconnected'.

In the organizer, look at the information panel in the right. If you select one 'offline' thumbnail, you'll get the information about the original file on the NAS and if you highlight the suggested location, you should get a prompt to reconnect the drive. I am speaking from memory, I can't test on this computer, I'll have to wait a few hours to be more precise.

Update:

When you display the 'offline' thumbnails with the special icon, you can keep an eye on the information panel and click on the 'location' field. Try the option to 'reconnect drives'.

Offline-1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines