Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reducing Image Size to Send to Print Shop

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am new to Adobe Photoshop. I need to reduce the image size of a picture, then upload the new file to an online print shop for them to print.

I have gone into 'Image' and 'Resize', then under document size I appear to successfully reduce the image size (without using  resampling so I do not sacrifice resolution). When resizing, I was careful to only change one of the dimensions (i.e., width) while letting the other field (i.e, length) update automatically.

The issue is that after saving the revised image to my computer, I then upload it to the online photo shop. But no matter what size print (i.e., 9 x 16) I choose on their website, my resized image appears to be exactly the same size (32 x 57) as my original file. This is TOO LARGE.

I have spent days on this. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce an image and have it keep the reduced size when being submitted to a photo shop for the purpose of printing???

Note, I have avoided cropping because I prefer to keep the full picture.

Thanks in advance!!!

TOPICS
How to , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you SAVE it or did you SAVE FOR WEB or did you use EXPORT. These don't work the same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whats the online print shop, and are your measurments in cm, inches, or feet?  What are the document dimensions?
IS it 5,000 x 5,000 pixels (at 72 dpi), or is it 30 inches by 30 inches (at 300dpi) for example. 

Don't wrap your head around image size, and pritn size, they are two totally different things.

The max size in PSE is 30000 x 30000 pixels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the wonderful respones!!!

To save it, I did 'File', then 'Save As' before exiting Photoshop. I had named the file and saved it in a folder on my PC. I did not save for the web nor did I export. 

Document/Image size is 32.25" x 57.333". Screen shot is also attached. The print shop is Printique.com. The link provided below.

Canvas Prints - Custom Canvas Photo Prints - Printique, An Adorama Company

I initially tried to place a custom order for a 14" x 12" canvas print with a wrapped border. However, I got the attached result where only the top third of the Eiffel Tower is visible with the very top being cut off from the picture because it wraps around the border...

I then tried to teach myself Photoshop and realized the length x width proportions have to comply. I then resized the image and selected a 9" width and accepted the auto generated 16" height. I saved this down per the above description, but I got the exact same result when I tried uploading it to Printique.

I resized the image again to an even smaller size, but selected much larger print dimensions and still got the exact same result as in the attachment when I uploaded it to Printique.

The resizing in Photoshop has not made the image any smaller when uploaded to Printique.

Note, when trying to submit my order to Printique, I initially did not select constrain proportions. However, I later selected this option, but it made no difference in the end result.

Also, based on the Image Size attachment, the image does not appear to exceed the maximum pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the size of your image will be 10 x 19 inches printed at 300 dpi.   

12 x 14 inches is not the correct ratio for your image-   6:7
The ratio of  32 to 57 is 11:19.    6:7 Does not equal 9:11.  

You original image needs to be cropped, or resized to fit on the frame with the top of the tower showing just on the front panel. 

Please stop wrapping your head around "resizing" - wha't important is the ratio of your original and the ratio of the final product.

This is what should work:  zoom in, then slide the picture down

2022-08-01_040458.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glenn,

This absolutely worked. Thank you!!!

Apologies for the delayed response. I did not receive a notification prompt after your last reply. I just happened to go into my account today and noticed there were additional responses.

WOW, this has been an exhausting ride. Thanks again!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have this problem. I use the photo editing software that came with my camera and save the images as JPEGs. I use Photo Elements to further refine the images. I use Bonusprint to print the photos. The photos can be transferred to the application without any issue. The application automatically adjusts for different formats e.g. camera or smartphone. I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines