• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restore a catalog from Backup with PSE 19 to PSE 21 Mac OSX

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time the same procedure in "Organizer" as you upgrade to the newest PSE version. As I remember last time, from 17 to 19 it was very complicate and I needed help online. I can't understand why this routine procedure isn't in the help option from Adobe. Or will I be positively surprised how easy it works this time?

TOPICS
How to , Mac , Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Hi,

Are you trying to install PSE in the same computer, PSE 17 is installed? In that case, you can 'convert' your catalog to the newer version, instead of a backup-restore. Please read more about catalog conversion here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/elements-organizer/user-guide.html/in/elements-organizer/using/creating-editing-catalogs.ug.html

In case you are trying to install PSE 19 to a different computer, you will have to do a back-up-restore. I will try to explain few points here mentione

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. But it's not easy as it seems. E.g. the name of the catalog you choose to be the new catalog is changed by the transfer and is listed at the same place with the photos. I have set the name of the new catalog as catalog 21. After transfer the name of the catalog has changed to catalog 11. No where catalog 21. To make it more complicate I have a folder with catalog 1? A real mess. The software seems to do thinks I don't want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next step would be a new backup of the catalog created in Organizer 21 to the externel HD in a new folder. Without changing anything it freezes in the middle of process! Can't believe that I have done something wrong. It's the software which is not up to date with OSX 11.2.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe support answer don't explain the renaming of the catalog by the system. They give an answer how to backup the new catalog, if you have troubles, as I had (freezing during the process). In Organizer you choose file > manage > choose the catalog in question > optimize. Try again. In my case the problem could be solved. Actual platform OSX 11.2.3. Best wihes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you trying to install PSE in the same computer, PSE 17 is installed? In that case, you can 'convert' your catalog to the newer version, instead of a backup-restore. Please read more about catalog conversion here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/elements-organizer/user-guide.html/in/elements-organizer/using/creating-e...

In case you are trying to install PSE 19 to a different computer, you will have to do a back-up-restore. I will try to explain few points here mentioned by you:

I have set the name of the new catalog as catalog 21. - Here you have set the folder where the catalog should get restored to, not the catalog name.

Whenever you try to restore a catalog, from a previous version, first it restores the catalog of old version, then converts it to a newer version, for eg, if you are trying to restore a catalog with the name 'My Catalog', 2 restored catalogs will get created, one of the latest version, 'My Catalog', and one of the older version 'My Catalog 1', i.e. '1' is appended to the catalog of older version. It is because you cannot have 2 catalogs with same name in one folder.

So it seems here you were trying to restore a catalog with existing name 'Catalog 1'. Now you have 2 restored catalogs :

Catalog 1: This belongs to PSE 19.

Catalog 11: This belongs to PSE 17.

Let me know if tis clears your doubts.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for the time to explain me the functionning of restoring a catalog. Indeed I had to restore from a backup made with older version of PSE to a newer (21) in a new computer with a newer platform (OSX 11.2.3.). Some functions in this process are made from the software it-self, e.g. conversion, some you have to manage. I have one catalog with about 15'000 pictures, all in groups characteriezed with tags sorted in years and quarters on HD. To find a photo is quite easy.

I don't bother now what files are listed from PSE with my photos. Older catalogs of former versions of PSE. This is somewhat irritating. The name of the catalog for me is not so importend. I have another system of storage.

So finally I have the photos where they should be and the tags have been restored with the original catalog. New backup done. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The principles are clear. I try to understand why a older catalog (from PSE 17) is still listed and goes with the actual backup procedure. To make the confusion complete Adobe speaks in PSE 19 of version 17 and in PSE 19 of version 17 and in PSE 21 of version 19. What are you speaking about, of versions or PSE numbers?

Is it possible to delete the folder catalog 1 origin from PSE 17?

To make a complete backup it is still necessary to manage before the catalog and to optimize it. Atherwise it sticks during the process. Important to know! One reason to get irritated. There are some traps to go around you have not mentioned.

Kind regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The principles are clear. I try to understand why a older catalog (from PSE 17) is still listed and goes with the actual backup procedure.

Why not? It's your choice to keep an old catalog or not, and many users do keep the older versions PSE at least some time. You can always convert an old catalog again from the catalog manager.

To make the confusion complete Adobe speaks in PSE 19 of version 17 and in PSE 19 of version 17 and in PSE 21 of version 19. What are you speaking about, of versions or PSE numbers?

PSE 2021 is the commercial product name. Based on the current year as is the trend not only for Adobe products but also for a lot of other software editors. Version 19 is the 19th version of Elements, which will be twenty years old in next yearly release in September.

Is it possible to delete the folder catalog 1 origin from PSE 17?

Yes, it's your choice.

To make a complete backup it is still necessary to manage before the catalog and to optimize it. Atherwise it sticks during the process. Important to know!

It's recommended, not mandatory. Sometimes it may be useful.

One reason to get irritated. There are some traps to go around you have not mentioned.

Yes, and you are welcome to ask here for more tips and discussions.

Kind regards.

By @Flamants

See my answers above please.

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We discussed a simple issue back and forth, spent much time in communication and it still gives me the impression that from the point of users you must drag it all out of Adobe support. An ineffective way for both sides. Not doing the optimizing process of the catalog will misslead to a sucessful backup in my case, it was not mandatory. To keep older versions of PSE in Mac platforms is very critical, as we saw the troubles arising last year for professionals, to get strick in a project upgrading for security reasons Mac OSX. Adobe running behind with updates and leaving people in the rain. It scratches away at the confidence.

Thank you anyway. Kind regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines