• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restoring levels

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to edit the text portion of a PSD file that cotains both photos and text. I flattened the levels while editing the file and saved it. I now need to edit the text but there is only one level and it will not allow text edits. What can I do?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

. . .  but your PDF shows that your original file is a PSD.  It looks like you will have to start over with creating your file.  As I now understand your question, you flattened the layers.  This makes all text uneditable.  It also appears that you have now added a text layer for the Page 6 footer.

Depending on your ultimate goal for this document, you may be able to use a PDF editor to OCR the document and edit the text in that format.  But, otherwise, I think you will have to start from scra

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean you flattened the layers?  If so, there is no easy way to edit the text.  Do you still have the original PSD file?  Please give us a screenshot of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This, other than the original photos, is all I have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to edit the text portion of a PSD file that cotains both photos and text. I flattened the levels while editing the file and saved it. I now need to edit the text but there is only one level and it will not allow text edits. What can I do?

By @jjsm

Your screenshot is a pdf file, not a psd one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

. . .  but your PDF shows that your original file is a PSD.  It looks like you will have to start over with creating your file.  As I now understand your question, you flattened the layers.  This makes all text uneditable.  It also appears that you have now added a text layer for the Page 6 footer.

Depending on your ultimate goal for this document, you may be able to use a PDF editor to OCR the document and edit the text in that format.  But, otherwise, I think you will have to start from scratch.  Hopefully, you have learned some valuable lessons from this experience:

• Never flatten text layers that you may want to edit again
  • Use the Save As feature to save your edited files before making any edits (such as flattening layers) that make your file uneditable.  That way, you can always go back to your editable file with all the necessary layers.

And as I take another look at your document, I suppose it would be possible to cover over or delete the existing text and add new text layers.  However, it will probably be faster and cleaner to start this project from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you flatten your text, it isn't text, and you can't edit it. 

While you retype the text, you might like to think hard about the importance of saving an unflattened file (as I often wished I had). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines