• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save for Web not working in Elements 15

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there- like the title says, Save for Web is returning a persistent error for me (screenshot below.)

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 01.32.59.png

I'm afraid the OSX console doesn't seem to offer many clues, so are there are any common troubleshooting steps I should take?  Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

The app store versions of photoshop elements write the preferences to a different location.

Look in your User Library for a folder called Containers and see if it's in there.

~/Library/Containers

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The save for web preferences sometime get corrupted and need rebuilding. Try this.

With an image open in the Editor click File >> Save for Web whilst simultaneously holding down the ctrl and alt keys.

You should see a pop-up asking if you want to delete the save for web prefs. Click yes. Close Elements and then re-launch.

Thanks,

Arshla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Arshla- unfortunately, holding down ctrl and alt doesn't seem to bring up any new pop-up.  Are you certain those are the right hotkeys on OSX?  Or is there a file somewhere I could remove manually?

(Holding down alt *does* change the 'cancel'/'done' buttons to 'reset'/'remember' in the save-for-web dialog, but neither of those options seem to fix the problem.)

Thanks, Morgan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Morgan,

You can also try out the solutions mentioned on this post:Error when trying to "Save for Web" . This is for a different version of PSE but would apply to yours as well.

Please try and get back for any queries.

Thanks,

Arshla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Arshla, but I don't think that thread is much good to me.  All the posters are referring to file-paths on a windows machine, not OSX, and I suspect the preferences file has changed location in newer versions of elements.  (I've looked under Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/ on my own machine, and there's no mention of Elements 15.  I can't see any sign of a preferences file if I explore the application contents package either.)

I've already tried regenerating the preferences file for Elements as a whole (rather than just save-for-web,) and the behaviour has persisted.  Could you please double-check what the appropriate file-paths and/or pop-up shortcuts would be on OSX, and get back to me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the inconvenience Morgan.

Please try out the instructions mentioned in the thread Photoshop: Selecting Save for Web gives error: "Could not complete this operation. An unknown operat...

Let us know if issue still persists.

Thanks,

Anwesha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Anwesha, but again, the information in that post seems to be out of date (or there must be something wrong with my installation.)  I'm not seeing anything related to PSE under my Library/Application Support/Adobe folder or under Library/Preferences (there are no com.adobe.xxx files to delete, web-related or otherwise.)

preferences_folder.png

To reiterate, I'm running Photoshop Elements 15 on OSX El Capitan, version 10.11.5 (15F34).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Just check again

Folder path is "~Library >> Preferences "

and File name should be Adobe Save for web 13.0 Prefs.

Delete this file and then relaunch PSE.

save for web.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The locations are:

Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Save For Web 13.0 Prefs

Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Plugins/Adobe Save for Web Elements 13

Delete the file & folder and re-launch Elements.

To get to the user Library quickly hold down the Optn key and on the top menu click “Go” and you can then select Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neeraj, 99jon:  To clarify, I am talking about my Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/ directory.  I have checked there, and there is no corresponding Adobe folder or prefs file that I can see.  In addition, I am using Elements 15, not 13.

user_library_prefs_path.png

Is anybody else here actually running Photoshop Elements 15 on OSX?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm running on Mac OS Sierra - see image below. I would normally expect to see pref files for Adobe installed applications.

Maybe you are running the App Store version which is a different set up - container installation.

SaveForWeb.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, yes- I'm running the App Store version.  I didn't realise that had a different install structure- where should I look for the pref file/s in that case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not completely sure you can make changes but you can inspect the installation. Right-click (control-click) on the PSE15 Editor App and choose Show Package Contents >> Contents

I would leave any save for web plug-in untouched but you may be able to find preferences.

Otherwise try an uninstall and then re-install from your App Store “Purchases”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I tried looking in the application package before, but I couldn't find any sign of a corresponding preferences file (or any preferences, for that matter.)

save_for_web_plugin.png

within_plugin.png

I can try a full reinstall, but it is a 2-GB application, so I'd, uh, rather I not have to every time it glitches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The app store versions of photoshop elements write the preferences to a different location.

Look in your User Library for a folder called Containers and see if it's in there.

~/Library/Containers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!  I was finally able to find the prefs file under:

Users/<username>/Library/Containers/com.adobe.pse15editor/Data/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 Settings/Adobe Save For Web Elements Prefs

containers_path_1.png

containers_path_2.png

Deleting that did the trick.  Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks R Kelly. Thanks Morgan for posting the screenshots. They will be helpful to others in future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

pop up didnt appear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines