• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save for web space in filename

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to make "Save for Web" NOT replace spaces in the filename iwht dashes?  That is infuriating as the save for web interface is much easier to work with than doing a Save As for other filetypes, but I hate having to rename everything it creates wrong because it doesnt like a space or character and rplaces it with a dash.

Im on version Photoshop Elements 2020, but I suspect solutions for any recent version is probably similar.

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to change the default naming convention for the Save for Web dialog - or any other save template execpt for the minor modifications that can be set in the Preferences>Saving Files dialog (upper/lower case extensions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Can you provide more info (like screnshots ) for you issue ?

Elements generally replace spaces in your file name while saving and same is true for save for web as well.

Regards,

Neeraj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, there's really not much to take by way of screenshots.  If when saving in Save for Web,you type in any file name containing a space, the file is instead saved with hyphens in place of the space.  Its been that way in photoshop forever - even from before it was part of the CS packages like in Photoshop 4 and likely before.  I've always hated it as it means I have to manually rename the files (from outside the app) all the time.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a wild guess Stopokingme, it's probably a left over from long ago when spaces caused problems in DOS or Fortran, HTML, Cobal, Pascal or who even remembers?  And so the space>hyphen rule may remain today solely because changing it doesn't pass cost/benefit muster from a business standpoint where too few might appreciate the change or even notice.  Similarly, the back story on Ctrl-Alt-Delete   Another distinct possibilty is that Phinny doesn't know what in the world he's talking about!  True.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old thread, I know, but this has bugged me for years—until today, when I finally found a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's for photoshop, not photoshop elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It does seem that Elements is doing the right thing since

(1) Save for Web is meant only to save for web

(2) Spaces are not allowed in the names of files on the web.

It would certainly useful if something as neat as Save for Web was available for other kinds of save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines