Save metadata to psd file

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is "Save Metadata to file" supposed to work with PSD files? It saves to jpegs for me, but not not PSD files. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

I just checked that the metadata:

- are not visible in the Explorer as you have found

- are present in the metadata header of the files and not only in the catalog.

You can check if the captions and keywords are saved in the file:

- from the editor, menu File >> Information (same from Photoshop CC)

- from the organizer, Information panel on the right, section 'IPTC'

- from third party exif viewers.

I am guessing the .psd metadata are stored in a way that the explorer can't read (the explorer can't disp

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danea56  wrote

Is "Save Metadata to file" supposed to work with PSD files? It saves to jpegs for me, but not not PSD files. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Dan

Yes, it should work the same as with jpegs. Are you sure the files are in .psd format, not .png?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, .psd. I'm working through Elements Organizer, editing the files in Elements and applying people and keyword tags in Organizer. I do Ctrl+W or File|Save Metadata, but when I look in Explorer (e.g. click location in Org, then Properties) the tags are not there. If I save my psd to a jpeg and apply tags to it, they show in Explorer. Also, if I use Elements to mass create jpegs from all my psds they have all the tags showing in Explorer that their source psd showed in Org.

FYI, using Elements 2018 and Windows 10, all updated.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked that the metadata:

- are not visible in the Explorer as you have found

- are present in the metadata header of the files and not only in the catalog.

You can check if the captions and keywords are saved in the file:

- from the editor, menu File >> Information (same from Photoshop CC)

- from the organizer, Information panel on the right, section 'IPTC'

- from third party exif viewers.

I am guessing the .psd metadata are stored in a way that the explorer can't read (the explorer can't display the thumbnails either).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. So, it seems I am seeing "normal" behavior. After seeing your note, I also verified the metadata is stored in the file by making a copy of a psd outside of Organizer, deleting it from Organizer and then importing the copied file. Tags maintained. This was the main thing for me, that the data was there in case the catalog got destroyed, although searching in Explorer would be nice.

I was also able to see the IPTC "from the editor, menu File >> Information".

Thanks again for the time.

Case closed. 🙂

Dan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom doesn't import psd files 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Photoshop format (PSD)

Photoshop format (PSD) is the standard Photoshop file format. To import and work with a multi-layered PSD file in Lightroom, the file must be saved in Photoshop with the Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility preference turned on. You’ll find the option in the Photoshop file handling preferences. Lightroom imports and saves PSD files with a bit depth of 8 bits or 16 bits per channel. To work with 32-bit images in Lightroom, save your file as TIFF or PSB.

so the psd files have to have been saved with the compatibility option, mine weren't.....not that I'm worried about face tagging data being saved to the psd files tiff and jpg eboigh for me

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines