• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving Captions in PSE 2021

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded from PSE 10 to PSE 2021. Now I have problems with saving the captions. I cannot see them by looking the details in the attributes oft the JPG in Windows 10 Explorer. After loading JPGs from my Olympus Camera E-M5 II into PSE the IPTC details shown in PSE are empty:

Barbaraxyz_0-1631274013761.jpeg

In Windows 10 Explorer I find in their details in attributes the IPTC the name: OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA.

Barbaraxyz_1-1631274013770.jpeg

After entering a caption in PSE and saving Metadata (CTLR+W) the description in PSE is filled:

Barbaraxyz_2-1631274013775.jpeg

But in Windows 10 Explorer I read still OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA:

Barbaraxyz_3-1631274013782.jpeg

Doing the same under PSE 10 the caption is visuable in the details oft the attributes in Windows 10 Explorer:

Barbaraxyz_4-1631274013785.jpeg

Barbaraxyz_5-1631274013787.jpeg

How can I solve this problem in PSE 2021 ?

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very old problem with Olympus:

https://johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Camera_name_appears

So, Olympus hijacks the caption field for his own advertisement.

I don't have PSE10 on this computer, so I can't compare now, but from memory, the only thing which may have changed for recent versions is the organizer preference. Can you check in the preferences, Files, if the "import exif caption" is checked? Maybe try with or without this option.

I suppose unchecking would prevent Olympus to write the name first. Ctrl W would write or overwrite the caption you have given.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Michel,

I tried this yesterday and today again, but it doesn't work. In Windows Explorer I find still OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA.

Barbaraxyz_1-1631360054908.png

Beside, I can only uncheck a field called "EXIF-Informationen importieren"

Barbaraxyz_0-1631359875938.png

Greetings

Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is a little strange.  I tried the following with a jpeg from my Sony camera.

1. Clicked on the IPTC button in the Info Panel (...) - the Edit IPTC Information dialog appeared
  2. Clicked on the Remove IPTC data
  3. Added text in the Description field
  4. Clicked the Save button.
  5. Used Ctrl+W to save the metadata

Snap_2021.09.11_14h5m39s_002.png

I then used the Location button to open the file in a Win Explorer window and examined the file's properties.  My text did not show up under the Details>Description tab.

Next, I opened the file into the Editor and opened the File>File Info menu dialog.  My added description was present:

Snap_2021.09.11_14h29m43s_003.png

I then saved the file as a copy in a version set.  This time, Windows File Explorer showed the description in the Properties dialog:

Snap_2021.09.11_14h32m57s_004.png

So, I'm not sure what to make of all this and will do some further testing to see why saving the metadata to file did not show up in Windows file properties but copying the file did.  (It could have been my user error.)  In any event, you may want to try what I did (particularly removing the IPTC metadata in the original file to see whether it removes the Olympus Camera information from the description field and see what results you get in Windows File Explorer.

I think the bottom line is that there are no standards or consistency beteen programs as to how metadata is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Greg,

Thanks for your answer, but with JPGs from a Sony Camera (Sony RX100) I have no poblems to save the caption in the metadata; only with JPGs from a Olympus Camera. I think the problem is, that the Olympus Camera automatically fills in the caption field in the meta data. 

Greetings

Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Adobe Community,

now I found a work around to solve my problem saving captions given in PSE 2021 in the JPGs. This problem only appears when I am loading JPGs from a Olympus Camera. The Olympus Cameras automatically fills in the caption field "title" and "subject" in the meta data. The problem seems to be that PSE 2021 does no longer overwrite the field "title" by CTRL+W (saving metadata) -as PSE 10 did- when prefilled by the Olympus Camera.

After loading the JPGs to the PC I delete the input in the fields "Titel" and "Subject" in the Windows Explorer:

Barbaraxyz_0-1631448248355.png

Afterwards the caption I put in in the PSE 2021 Organizer is saved by CTRL+W (saving metadata):

Barbaraxyz_1-1631448615067.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines