• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving your edited RAW images and converting to jpeg

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I need help with both. .. when I am done editing a raw image, looks like I only save it to a file on computer as opposed to elements. . .??  I'd like to save to elements so then I can convert to jpeg from there.    Is there an easier way? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I need help with both. .. when I am done editing a raw image, looks like I only save it to a file on computer as opposed to elements. . .??  I'd like to save to elements so then I can convert to jpeg from there.    Is there an easier way? 

By @defaultcnw8pnj1yhps

Once you have edited a raw image in the ACR module, you either click 'Done', which saves your edits (your 'recipe') together with the original raw, or you click on 'Open' which opens your edit in the normal PSE pixel editor;  from there you can convert, save or print as usual. Just keep in mind that if you want jpegs, you have to be in 8 bits mode, not 19-bits which jpeg does not support. Either you select the option before clicking 'Open' or when in PSE, you convert to 8-bits.

Also remember that it's possible to open several raw files at the same time into the PSE pixel editor.

You can also use batch editing by using the 'Done' button and choose one of the two batch features of PSE:

- in editor the command 'Process multiple files'

- in the organizer, the command 'export to new files'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been selecting "save images" which allows you to choose file outside of PSE.  Because when I chose "done", it took me back to organizer but it didn't look like it was the edited version that was saved, however it sounds like you are saying it IS that version that is saved that way--hitting done saves my edits?

I did know that I can open several raw files at once and even apply edits to more than one (thanks to my recent learning thru youtube lol) 

But I did NOT know about jpeg needing to be in 8bits mode.  How do I check and do that?

And thank you btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been selecting "save images" which allows you to choose file outside of PSE.  Because when I chose "done", it took me back to organizer but it didn't look like it was the edited version that was saved, however it sounds like you are saying it IS that version that is saved that way--hitting done saves my edits?

I did know that I can open several raw files at once and even apply edits to more than one (thanks to my recent learning thru youtube lol) 

But I did NOT know about jpeg needing to be in 8bits mode.  How do I check and do that?

And thank you btw.

By @defaultcnw8pnj1yhps

The 'Save' button should never have been called this way. It's terribly misleading.

What it does is to 'convert' the proprietary raw file format (which Adobe considers as 'read only' and should never been touched) to the universal and open Adobe DNG raw format which includes both the converted raw data and your edits.

So, you 'save' a raw format into another (open) raw format and you have to follow the normal process to 'Open' in the normal pixel editor to get an image format (not a raw one) which you can save according to your preferences.

And yes, jpeg has never supported 16-bits. That's one of the reasons to shoot raw which lets you select other formats like tiff or psd for much more powerful editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, so many things to know and figure out.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you choose to simply close the raw file after editing it in ACR, the raw file thumbnail will be updated in the Organizer.  See my following screenshot which shows the original thumbnail in the Organizer, followed by the edits in ACR and then the thumbnail back in the Organizer after clicking the Done button:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.06.19_12h24m17s_000_SnapCollage.png

The edit is only a demonstration, not a display of my editing skills.  😁

If your thumbnail does not show what you think your edited version should look like, then update the thumbnail in the Organizer by hitting Ctrl+Shift+U.

You haven't told us which version of Elements you are using.  In Elements 2021, the bit depth of the image can be selected from a dropdown menu at the bottom of the ACR screen. 

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.06.19_12h52m03s_004_.png

In the PSE Editor, the depth is shown in the title tab of the image.  You can change the depth in the Editor via the Image>Mode menu:

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.06.19_12h53m59s_000_SnapCollage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All great help!  Thanks!  (fyi I only have Elements 15)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Last question:  I have edited in raw, looks good, made sure it is in 8 bit before converting to jpeg, and it looks AWFUL in jpeg!!  very grainy when it didn't really look that way in camera raw editing!  ugh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines