• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select MOV files crash PSE repeatedly

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title suggests, some MOV files work fine, others crash PSE. Is there a solution?

I found HEIC photos -- supposedly supported by PSE -- also slowed the program tremendously and/or didn't display. (Many did, some didn't). So I converted everything to jpeg. Laborious but PSE running much smoother, until I turned my attention to videos. 🥲

TOPICS
Bug , Crash or freeze , How to , Organizer , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

To go straight to the bottom line, I was able to enlarge the right sidebar screen to be able to view the *link on the dead video icons (before, I was *clicking on the link, and that led to a crash every time). So then I went to the link in File Explorer to find the pesky critter and convert it to an extension PSE finds more palatable. This was not required for all of my MOV files, only some of them.

To answer your questions, I didn't even *know Adobe had an uploader, so these are all automatical

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the mov files from the same source, e.g. an iPhone? 

Are they all shot in the same format? 

Do you have the Microsoft HEVC video extension installed? 

And do the files play OK with other software, e.g. Windows Photos App or VLC? 

Are you getting any message such as the Codec is not found?

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.02.19_17h50m38s_003_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they are all from my iPhone. All shot in the same format. It is very odd, because videos that are taken sometimes minutes apart are indiscriminately ok, or not.

There is usually no error message, although sometimes it will say the file is corrupted. It is hard to know for sure whether they open with other programs, because I have to try to guess what video is missing (see attachment). You would think the easy way would be to click on the location for the file, but that just crashes PSE (repeatedly so).

And yes, the hevc video extensions are installed. See attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Adobe Photo Downloader (APD) to upload the videos from your phone to the computer?

Which setting are you using on the phone for Transfer to PC - Automatic or Keep Originals? 

I have had numerous problems with transfer via the APD.   Based on numerous factors, it is my opinion that the problem lies with Apple.   I know of one user who has been in contact with Apple support and Apple has acknowledged the problem.  But in the numerous updates to iOS since the problem first surfaced, there has been no solution.

I have come to the conclusion that HEIF is a total waste of time other than to save storage space on my phone.  For this reason, I now only use the Automatic setting on my phone so that .heic files are converted to jpgs when transferred (via APD) to my computer.  This seems to work OK.  As for videos, I have either been going through Windows Explorer or Windows Photos app to transfer the files - also using the Automatic transfer method.  Even using this method, I can generally only transfer 2 or 3 4K videos at a time before the transfer fails.

Now, as for your screenshots, it is my opinion that the videos without thumbnails are probably corrupt and won't play even in other software.  You can test this out by selecting a file, use the Organizer's Info panel to open the Location of the folder where the file is stored and then use a context menu to Open with>[any media player - even Windows' Photos].   (If the Organizer is crashing when you do this, then just make a note of the location and open the file via Explorer.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To go straight to the bottom line, I was able to enlarge the right sidebar screen to be able to view the *link on the dead video icons (before, I was *clicking on the link, and that led to a crash every time). So then I went to the link in File Explorer to find the pesky critter and convert it to an extension PSE finds more palatable. This was not required for all of my MOV files, only some of them.

To answer your questions, I didn't even *know Adobe had an uploader, so these are all automatically uploaded to OneDrive, where they are sorted by year, then imported into PSE. And yes, while one or two videos were indeed corrupt, most were not, and opened easily in Windows.

Key learning, which you alluded to: while PSE claims to support heic and MOV files, it doesn't really, not in the way it supports jpeg and mpeg (for which, I am guessing, it was actually built). This becomes painfully obvious in the importing process. HEIC and MOV imports almost come to a stop at some points, while jpeg and mpeg files are imported like a rocket. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines