• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting an image from Organizer opens in Editor and not in Camera Raw

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select an image from an Organizer album for initial editing, the image opens in the Elements editor and not in Camera Raw as it should.  How do I correct this?  Also, how do I get a filmstrip of multiple images to appear in the Camera Raw editor on the left side?  This no longer appears to work.  My system is Apple Catalina.  Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know nothing about Macs.  I assume you are working with Elements 2020 since your OS is Catalina.

Are you sure you are selecting a raw file to edit?

When you say the film strip of multiple images doesn't appear in the Camera Raw editor, did it ever work for you and this is something new?  If that is the case, I suggest you reset the preferences file.  (That may also fix your raw file not opening in ACR.)  Go to Edit>Preferences>General tab and click the Reset Preferences on next launch button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The filmstrip will appear if you have more than one file open.

My guess is that you are opening a version set from your original raw file. With the 'adaptative view', the jpeg//tiff/psd version is on the top of the stacked photos in that version, which is not obvious in that kind of view. Switch to the 'detailed view' (shortcut Ctrl D) and expand the items in the version set to select the real raw file.

It's impossible to open a raw file without a conversion process. So the files which open directly in the pixel editor are definitively NOT raw files.

About jpegs or tiff/psd files you have chosen to 'Open in camera raw' from the editor:

After you have edited them in the ACR dialog, the settings are saved in the metadata header. Next time you open them, either from the editor or the organizer, they open in the ACR dialog. You may have the same issue with a version set as with original raw files.

You can open several raw files at the same time from the organizer or the editor.

You can open several jpeg / tiff /psd at the same time from the 'Open in ACR' command of the editor, but you can't from the organizer if they have not been opened in ACR previously in the editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your help.  It looks like what is happening is that when I drag more than one raw image into the elements 2020 editor to look at them in camera raw, the first image is somehow converted to a jpeg file while the others are left as raw files.  I don’t know how to prevent the jpeg conversion from happening.  There is nothing that I can find in preferences that is obvious.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What should happen:

- your open several raws in the Camera Raw editor. One of them is displayed and its thumbnail in the film strip is highlighted. You can also select other images in the film strip by Ctrl or shift clicking.

- If only one file is highlighted, if you click 'Open', only that file is opened (after in memory conversion) in the pixel editor. No converted file is written on your drive at that stage.

- You edit in the pixel editor or just use 'save' or 'save as', then it is written to disk (as a version set if that saving option is chosen). What you see by default on the browsing space in 'adpatative view' mode is the jpeg, the raw file under it is hidden if you don't 'expand' the version set.

- Now, if you Ctrl Click to select several raws in the filmstrip, clicking the 'open' button will open them in the pixel editor. You can edit and save every item. Only saved items in the pixel editor are recorded on your drive as jpegs or tiffs/psds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines