• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selective color adjustment layer in PSE?

Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a long time user of Photoshop and recently switching to PSE2018, one of the things I miss most is the Selective Color Adjustment Layer in Photoshop! Is there a way in PSE to selectively adjust colors?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

fotografffic

hatstead

However, if I uncheck colorize, it seems I can adjust colors individually. Is that a good way to go about it?

magenta.JPG

Yes, this allows one to drill down to the color channels for more specificity.

If there is an object in one of the pictures, you can select it with one of the selection tools, place the object on its own layer (CTRL+J), open the H/S adjustment layer above the layer with the object, then link the two layers (CTRL+G). This will allow you to limit the color change, vs. a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fotografffic  wrote

As a long time user of Photoshop and recently switching to PSE2018, one of the things I miss most is the Selective Color Adjustment Layer in Photoshop! Is there a way in PSE to selectively adjust colors?

If you are referring to Enhance>adjust color>color variations, that has been omitted in several prior versions of the software as well.

Have you tried, as a work-around, to utilize a Hue/saturation adjustment layer with the "Colorize" box checked in the dialog? There are sliders for Hue, Saturation, and Lightness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hatstead  wrote

Have you tried, as a work-around, to utilize a Hue/saturation adjustment layer with the "Colorize" box checked in the dialog? There are sliders for Hue, Saturation, and Lightness.

Thank you for your reply.

When I check the colorize box and adjust the sliders, the image turns a weird color, or anywhere between pure black or white.  The changes are applied to the entire image. The Master channel is locked. Is that they way it's supposed to be, or am I missing something?

colorize.JPG

However, if I uncheck colorize, it seems I can adjust colors individually. Is that a good way to go about it?

magenta.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fotografffic

hatstead

magenta.JPG

Yes, this allows one to drill down to the color channels for more specificity.

If there is an object in one of the pictures, you can select it with one of the selection tools, place the object on its own layer (CTRL+J), open the H/S adjustment layer above the layer with the object, then link the two layers (CTRL+G). This will allow you to limit the color change, vs. a global change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

So what does the colorize box do? How do you use it if everything turns a weird colr?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I avail myself of both options. It works very well if you wish to colorize a black/white photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes that works well for black and white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines