• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slideshows on Photoshop Elements 2021

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently upgraded to Elements 2021 and was aware that the slideshow creation was different from my previous version Elements 10.

When using the Slideshow creator in Elements 2021 version, it became claetr to me that it is functionally inferior to that in Elements 10.

Is there any way I can upgrade Elements 2021 to give me slideshow functionality at least eaqual to that in Elements 10?

Thank you

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

1. Using a saved search to bring up the photos, with "oldest first" as the date order, this photo order was not retained in the folder to which the photos were expoerted. The order seems to be by file name in alphabetic order. Any thoughts?

What method did you use to Export the files?  See my recent post here.  It may answer your qustion.

2. The caption doesn't go across with the photo. Is there any way of making that happen?

You can try saving the metadata to the file by using the Ctrl+W comm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Greg, thanks very much for your help with my photoshop elements questions.

I have exported some slide show photos in right order and the individual files have the caption information.

I will have to check whether the caption can be read.

Thanks again

John

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't compare the old and the new version for slideshow, they are fundamentally different and for different kinds of users.

The old slideshows may be good for your own home use, but today, new users want to be able to share hi-res videos in the mp4 format.

On the other hand, the new marketing orientation of Elements is to integrate the use of automatic AI driven solutions to make things easier for beginners. Rewriting totally the old (32-bits) obsolete technology did not make sense, especially since Adobe prefers to move creative video users towards Premiere Elements, which has all the tools to create advanced videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many users retain their older version of the program on their machines for the specific purpose of using the older slideshow feature.  Both versions of the program can be installed without any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I installed Elements 2021, my catalog from Elements 10 was automatically given a new name/location on Elements 2021. 

If I am to use Elements 10 for the slideshow function, the catalog needs to be the same for both versions of Elements. Is the best way to achieve that by backing up my photos and catalog on Elements 2021 and then restoring on Elements 10?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalogs are not backwards compatible. So you cannot restore a 2021 catalog to an Elements 10 Organizer.  It would have to be the other way around.  Perhaps the best way to keep both catalogs "in synch" would be to use Watched Folders to import all new files into each catalog.  Of course, this does not synch new tags or Albums.  If you tell us a little more about your slideshow workflow, we might be able to suggest other strategies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The slideshow I set up on Elements 10 was for every photo with a 4 or 5 star rating. I had intended to set up a few others as well, two examples being (1) all photos for person A with 3 or 4 or 5 star ratings and (2) all photos for key word B with 3 or 4 or 5 star ratings. Not particularly sophisticated!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One possibility occures to me.

If I use the saved searches function to pull out relevant photos, could these be downloaded to a standalone Digital Photo Frame which would then display them as a slide show?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One possibility occures to me.

If I use the saved searches function to pull out relevant photos, could these be downloaded to a standalone Digital Photo Frame which would then display them as a slide show?

Thanks

By @defaulty5hyyaj7u7zk

That is another possibility, but I would suggest using an Album so that you could first sort the photos into your desired order.  You could then use the File>Export as New Files command to save the files in your desired order and download them (via memory stick?) to the Digital Photo Frame.  See my post here for further details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, thank you very much for your two replies.

I think that the Digital Photo Frame route might provide a better solution for me over the longer term.

I have a couple of questions that you might be able to help with.

1. Using a saved search to bring up the photos, with "oldest first" as the date order, this photo order was not retained in the folder to which the photos were expoerted. The order seems to be by file name in alphabetic order. Any thoughts?

2. The caption doesn't go across with the photo. Is there any way of making that happen?

Thanks again for your help

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  I have just  conducted a test for importing to a backwards version.  In Elements 2021, I gave a star rating, created a caption, and applied a keyword tag and a People tag to two jpg files.  I then saved the metada (Ctrl+W) to one of the files.

I opened Elements 12, which is the oldest version I have on my machine right now, and imported the entire folder containing both files.  During the import, I accepted the opportunity to import all keywords.

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.04.15_15h24m28s_006_.png

The result was that one of the files displayed the star rating, the caption, and the keyword tag.  It also converted the People tag to a regular keyword tag.  The other file (for which I did not save the metadata) displayed none of this information.

Next, I returned to Elements 2021 and saved the metadata to the second file.  After relaunching Elements 12, none of the information was viewable in the grid, but the caption could be viewed in the Info panel under the IPTC tab.

In Windows File Explorer, the star rating and captions are available in the file properties.

So, my suggestion is that you:

•  First import the files into your Elements 2021 catalog,
  •   Apply your star ratings, captions, keyword tags and People tags
  • Save the metadata to files,
  • Import the files to your older version (Elements 10)
  • Accept the import of all keywords

You should then be able to create your slideshows in Elements 10 using the search criteria of keyword tags (including People tags converted to keyword tags), star ratings and captions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What method did you use to Export the files?  See my recent post here.  It may answer your qustion.

You can try saving the metadata to the file by using the Ctrl+W command.  But this does not necessarily mean that your photo frame will read the caption in the metadata.  There is no standardized method for the treatment of captions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greg, thanks very much for your help with my photoshop elements questions.

I have exported some slide show photos in right order and the individual files have the caption information.

I will have to check whether the caption can be read.

Thanks again

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines