• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some questions about PE 2021 and Camera Raw?

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am kind of new to PE 2021 (I had tried some of the trials before, but I finally decided to buy 2021 recently) and I just installed it recently, and I had some questions:

• Q1: I got a popup notification in Windows 10, saying that there was a Camera Raw update, so I started PE and then that said that there was an update, so I let that update installation go.  However, after the installation, I checked the Camera Raw version (using Help=>About Plugins=>Adobe Camera Raw) and that looks like it is still showing the same version, 13.0.0.612.  Is there a separate process to update the Camera Raw?
  • Q2: While I am in Camera Raw editing, are there presets there, similar to presets in Lightroom?  Also can I create my own Camera Raw presets?

Thanks,

Jim

TOPICS
Download and install , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q1:

There is no update for Camera Raw in PSE2021.

The confusion may come from the fact that PSE2021 installs the free Creative Cloud desktop application to be used with the new  'Save to the Cloud' option in PSE. That app warns you of the new updates for the Creative Cloud. I have subscriptions in the Creative Cloud, so I got the news an update for ACR in the full Photoshop.

Q2:

I'd like to get some info from Adobe, but I have seen that there is somewhere an option in the ACR version of PSE2021 to use presets created for Photoshop. In the 'profiles' menu (the 3 dots icon for more presets options), there is an option: "Import profiles and presets". I have not found how to use it.

presets-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichelBParis,

Re. Q1: Thanks for the clarification.

Re. Q2: My PSE 2021/ACR looks different (when I click on the 3 dots)... I don't get the same dropdown choices as you do:

ohaya0D4C_1-1612728945801.png

Thanks,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, the three dots are on the 'profile' line, a bit under and left of the other three dots icon.

You have to select the icon to 'browse' profiles first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just figured that (need to browse first) out so now I see the same menu as you.

Also, FYI, I just found this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/camera-raw/td-p/11492927?page=1

That seems to mention a way to download the standalone ACR and integrate it with PSE (I haven't tried it yet).

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Greg has tested it for the new 13.1 version and mentioned elsewhere that the workaround no longer works. Wait for his comment before wasting your time. By the way, similar workarounds in the past have led to serious difficulties when trying to upgrade later with the normal update process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks but too late... I already tried and PSE wouldn't start.  I removed the 2nd plugin file (I had renamed it when I copied it into the dir), but I had to actually bounce my machine to get it to work again.

Understood about possibly messing up upgrades.  That is a concern I had, but now I am just curious, more than anything else.

It still WOULD be nice if there was presets though.  I used them a lot in LR and miss them.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Ok, I was able to get PSE to "see" both of the plugins (I had to bounce my machine), but they show up as "Camera Raw", but the Help=>About=>Plugins shows both the original version and the later one.

BUT, I don't know how to get PSE to USE the newer plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Ok, I think I got it to work, where I can choose which ACR plugin to use in PSE.

• First, I made a copy of the new installed plugin and renamed the file (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats\Camera Raw-STANDALONE.8bi)
  • Next I made dir named "STANDALONE" at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements<Version Number>\File Formats\STANDALONE
  • Next I copied the new .8bi file to the STANDALONE directory.
  • Then I bounced my machine.
  • After that, I can use Edit=>preferences to pick which ACR plugin I want.  After changing I have to shutdown and start PSE (NO NEED TO BOUNCE THE MACHINE) and then the next time, it uses the ACR I selected.

ohaya0D4C_0-1612734476766.png

and then after changing the dir in preferences and bouncing the PSE:

ohaya0D4C_1-1612734705161.png

That seems to work but there is something going one afterwards - it seems to be opening the image file more than once.  I don't know why...

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines