• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Surface 4 Pen not working correctly with Adobe Elements 15 after recent windows 10 update

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently updated my windows 10 surface pro 4 and afterwards the pen will not draw on the application. The pen is working correctly however as I was able to use it in other applications fine, like paint, and word etc. Not sure how to correct?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Here is the resolution put out by Microsoft. It was an issue on their end, not adobe's

Unexpected panning or scrolling in some apps with pen after applying - Microsoft Community

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. The pen with the zoomed screen does not work. The Pen does not draw but behaves like a hand tool. I spent hours with a Windows technician to fix this problem. The problem is still not repaired, I was only offered to replace the equipment with a new one. What will I use because there is no other solution yet. I hope that the problem will not happen again. I have the latest Surface Pro 16Gb RAM, i7 and 512 SSD and the latest Pen. I spent a lot of money on equipment that is very disappointing. The annual Adobe subscription also ends for me and I don't think I will be prolonging my subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem as well with my wacom tablet, the pen functionalities work perfect in everything else but photoshop. i have to double tap to draw just a singular line. it annoys me greatly that i cant draw in photoshop elements 13 because of this unresolved issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest Windows 10 insiders update has finally rectified the issue for me. I missed the fluid editing and it’s working flawlessly now!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"insiders update" What's that? I want it? How do I get it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Settings- update & security- windows insider programme - get insider preview builds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely an Adobe Photoshop problem.

Pen drags and scrolls image instead of drawing. Happens on BOTH of my PCs.

Surface Pro and Surface Studio.

Each has its own pen. Works fine with other program on both PC's such as Sketchbook, Art Rage, Fresh Paint.

Everything was working fine until a few days ago. There were updates for both windows and adobe. So which is it.

Latest Microsoft software and Photoshop installed.

Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1709

build: 16299.334

Photoshop: Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.1.2 20180302.r.277 2018/03/02: 1160083  x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on surface pro 4 i5. Exact same windows build and ps version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed windows version 1803

build 17133.1

and if fixed Photoshop issue.

However this is a windows insider build so it is not the main update so I don't know if anything else broke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah not gonna risk breaking anything else dowbloading an insider build of windows. Id rather use my older laptop thats prone to crashing rather then that. But the suggestion was nice anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with my pen happen before the last PS update I did, I thought I need an update so I did it, but after it still will just zoom in and not paint or erase. But it just happen today After I updated windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help. There is no solution yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I've been following this other feed on the same issue. I haven't found any solid solutions yet, but these guys are saying its a windows problem, so what's been working for other is rolling back windows update.

Check it out:

Surface Pro pen panning instead of drawing.

Heres the latest response:

panjilaras (to panjilaras) 42 minutes ago

OK I use the latest update Photoshop CC 2018 and experienced the same problem. Here are two solutions until both Adobe or Microsoft mans up:

1. Disable Gesture Option in Preference - Tool. Not convenient, because you loose finger zooming and panning.

2. Rolled back Windows Update KB4089848

uinstall-update.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolling back windows is NOT a solution at all, and not advised for many reasons, including security reasons.

Installing unstable windows beta versions (insider builds) is NOT a solution at all either, and again not advised for many reasons.

Disabling gesture option is not a solution, and not advised.

People are resorting to unsafe, unstable band aid fixes which is totally unsatisfactory.

It is clearly an Adobe problem (ONLY MULTIPLE ADOBE PRODUCTS ARE EFFECTED) that Adobe are evidently not interested in fixing for some strange reason.

Not that it matters for me, I have already cancelled my adobe subscription.

I urge other to do the same, and be sure to tell them the exact reasons why. (There are plenty of software alternatives available)

Maybe then, and only then, they may address the issue's at hand, if enough people cancel their subscriptions.

Adobe is not listening to it customers here in their own forums or through troubleshooting. Poor customer service in any language.

Stop throwing you money away until they fix THEIR issue's guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its not photoshop...its Windows they updated there pen drive on the on the 3-29-18.  Some how in the update they switched the funtion of when you draw with the button on the side in the Photoshop application.  It might be due to the fact that Microsoft doesn't offer Adobe products in there store anymore so they stopped supporting them to work with there pen drive functions.  Just a theory,  but I agree with Scott rolling back will not permanently fix this problem.  I encourage everyone to send Microsoft a email or write in the give us feedback section so that they can work on the problem in future updates.  This problem will not be solved until microsoft works on in on there end switching the function of the pen to work as the left click button when you right (...and the right click button for the side button on the pen).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed on not rolling back on Windows, only solution i could find though

But so if it is the pen, would rolling back on the driver for the pen work? or is it even possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indigokid88 it is Adobe that is the problem.

Read this post fully please. The problem has been going for well over 6 months, well before your windows update mate.

The problems are only replicated using Adobe's software suite. NOTHING nor any other software replicates the issues.

It is 100% adobe's problem. Not windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is something very strange going on between the 2 companies.

A stalemate if you will is in full force.

Neither company wants to fix it ( I am positive either Windows or Adobe could EASILY fix the issues)

Adobe wont address it as it's on a Microsoft device.

Microsoft wont fix it as its using Adobe software.

Very childish behavior for such massive companies.

Whom ever is responsible for these immature decisions should be sacked, it's gone on for far too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's bummer since I love surface lines for pen experience. not going for mac. i love adobe cc due to full typography support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I cant believe this problem is so widespread and still no solution. I'm probably gonna have to cancel subscription soon if they don't respond or even address the issue. Is rolling back the windows update actually solving the issue? I'm just in the middle of multiple projects and am looking for any kind of half assed solution for now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tyler,

I posted the same software updates on 3/30.

I installed the Windows 10 insiders release:

Please note that this is pre-release software so use at your own risk.

Installed windows version 1803

build 17133.1

and

Latest Adobe Photoshop CC.

The above release of Windows 10 fixed the Photoshop issue with the pen scrolling instead of drawing.

I did this install on a Surface Pro and Surface Studio. Both have Microsoft pens, one is the latest and the other pen is the earlier one. Both computers are now working fine for me

As far as I can tell nothing else is having issues with the pre release windows software by I am only using Adobe CC programs and MS office.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having this problem after a recent update on both my surface book 2 and my desktop machine using a wacom bamboo. randomly 80% of the time when i use the stylus for anything it just grabs the screen and moves it instead. called adobe for tech support and the guy on the other side said had no clue what i was talking about and i dont think he knew what a surface book was. He's telling me its a wacom issue  i ONLY seem to have this issue with my stylus using any version of PS. ive also reset my surface pro, reinstalled PS and still the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was just told by the third person i got on tech support at adobe that Photoshop IS NOT tested with a stylus and thats its NOT a Photoshop issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got exactly the same problem and have now spent in excess of 30 hours on to online Microsoft support - they've tried absolutely everything including remotely taking over my surface, completely resetting it, and lastly- replacing it with a brand new one (as it was still under warranty and simply does not do what I bought it for since the update stopped Adobe from running properly).

I am regularly keeping on at them as I think the more reports they get of this issue - the more pressure to fix it!

They have told me it has been passed onto the team that deal with updates - but then hinted that unless Adobe keep up with their updates - it is not within Microsoft's control.

I am now unsure what to do - I could still return the surface Pro and get my money back - but that only really leaves me with the option of getting the iPad Pro to replace it  - I'm not quite sure this would be quite as useful to me as the combination of Surface Pro and Photoshop Elements was absolutely perfect for the sort of work I do!

Has anyone tried the iPad equivalent apps to Photoshop? How do they compare for graphics/ pattern- design work? I actually don't want to swap but if Microsoft can't resolve the issue then I think it will be my only option!

Only other thing I am yet to try is to get the latest version of Photoshop Elements (currently have 14) - has anyone had any luck resolving the issue with a later version? (Happy to buy latest version if it works - but don't want to waste money if it has the same problem)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my previous post April 7. I installed the software versions above and everything is working fine on both my surface studio and surface pro.

I also have iPad pros and they work very well with the Apple Pencil. Procreate is by far what I use with the iPad. It is  better than PS Elements. Sketchbook is also very nice and it runs on all platforms.

So the reason I have the Microsoft computers is so I can use full versions of Adobe products with touch screen.

There is no full version Photoshop for the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UGGGGG @Adobe @microsoft HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines