• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Surface Pro pen panning instead of drawing.

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Elements 14 for the passed year and a half on my Windows Surface Pro, I have had no issues til yesterday.
When I open the canvas my pen doesn't draw but it pans the canvas. However, if i press the right click button my tablet pen, it sometimes works. I brought my tablet to Microsoft where they told me the problem wasn't with the pen itself, but could not help me further.
When I searched online it seems that photoshop was not compatible with tablets in prior years but had been working just fine for me til now. [It was even a selling point for me as I purchased photoshop along with my surface pro.]

Any ideas on how to solve this problem would be wonderful.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Hello, I would rather apply the Microsoft patch that fixes the problem they created: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/unexpected-panning-or-scrolling-in-some-apps-with/

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea too bad its not available to the public yet. prob malware still

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-holds-releasing-windows-10-version-1803-public

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A proper fix has been posted on the Microsoft help page:

1. From start, search for CMD
  2. Right click command prompt, click run as administrator
  3. At the command prompt type the following
    reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
  4. Press Enter

Link to the fix in it's original post Unexpected panning or scrolling in some apps with pen after applying - Microsoft Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me. Thanks taubin308!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You solved it Taubin308​

That did the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, I would rather apply the Microsoft patch that fixes the problem they created: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/unexpected-panning-or-scrollin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My friend found this on Reddit! It worked for us! https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/87fjff/pen_scrolling_instead_of_drawing_in_photoshop/

Uninstalling the most recent updates worked for a little while...but then it started up again...even though I had my updates paused. Let's see if it sticks is the bigger question, but my friend found it about a month or so ago and no issues yet. *fingers crossed*

Edit: As i put this in, I see the other comments mentioning lol..was too late...need to mark as "Answered"

---------

its an update issue but you can fix it without uninstalling anything

to fit open up the command prompt(just type cmd into your start menu and run as administrator) then type the command:

reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines