• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thumbnails are hourglass but photo shows if enlarged

Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have over 55,000 photos in PSE 2018 Organizer without issue but lately all the photos I add are only showing hourglass image for their thumbnails.  The full size images are fine and I can use all PSE functions.  The "update thumbnail" under the edit pull-down does not help.  I am using Windows 10.  Any suggestions on how to fix the problem would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Using their online chat, Adobe was able to find me a solution.  Simply go to File/Manage Catalogs/Repair and an error message was presented about an error in the thumbnail cache. Answering yes to delete the cache and rebuild it solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's start with checking the size in pixels of those images?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/maximum-image-size-limits-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The jpg files range in size from under 1 MB to about 10 MB with pixel counts from 2 to 20 M-- nothing larger than I have already running successfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas on a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using their online chat, Adobe was able to find me a solution.  Simply go to File/Manage Catalogs/Repair and an error message was presented about an error in the thumbnail cache. Answering yes to delete the cache and rebuild it solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Photoshop elements 2021 and having same problem with photos showing as hourglass (they appear for a second then go to hourglass image). Tried going to file/manage catalogs but "repair" was not an option. What do you suggest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultff7anc2emiz0, you need to select the catalog in the File>Manage Catalogs dialog.  The Repair option will then become active:

Snap_2021.08.17_12h47m22s_000.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with hour glass icons in place of thumbnails Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021.  Some of the photos show and some don't - doesn't matter if they're recent or old. I do not have the options you described under the "Manage Catalogs"  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Here is what I get:2021-09-27 (1).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with hour glass icons in place of thumbnails Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021.  Some of the photos show and some don't - doesn't matter if they're recent or old. I do not have the options you described under the "Manage Catalogs"  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Here is what I get:2021-09-27 (1).png

By @defaultff7anc2emiz0

Click on the shown catalog line: My Catalog [current]

That line should be highlighted and the option to repair or optimize should appear.

Did you try to select some of the empty thumbnails, right click and choose 'update thumbnail'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, tried to right click and choose "update thaumnail" and it did nothing.

I clicked on the My Catalog (current ) as you suggested and the "optimize" option appeared.  Clicked on that and got an error message.  There must be some setting that's off that's causing even the newly downloaded photos to appear as hourglasses until clicked on.  Some of my older, downloaded photos are ok and some are hourglasses - even wihtin the same group of photos.  Thank you for your help - but this is extremely frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem was solved for me with the help of a tech from Microsoft store
where I'd purchased the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021. He uninstalled and
reinstalled the program. No more hour glass icons in place of thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much, that cured the problem .

Regards 

Eddie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines