• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring a Catalogue from Photoshop Elements 2019 to 2021

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Mac with the current operating system. Today I downloaded the new version of PSE and when it converted my catalogue, it didn't keep any of the folders in tact, I had no tags or keywords.... With close to 40,000 digital elements, the task of painstaking tagging and applying new keywords made the decison to restore my computer to a few hours prior to downloading PSE2021 easy. I'm going to try this again, but I need to know how I import my catalogue from the 2019 version to the current verson. 

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

I know it's confusing but Elements 2019 is actually version 17.  Therefore, you found the correct database file:  catalog.pse17db. 

Elements 2021 is version 19. 

As for the way the folders are presented in the Folders tab, you need to be in the Tree view in order to see your folder organization according to your OS browser.  Perhaps you were in the List View which I believe is the default.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.10.20_15h25m03s_001_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you installed and launched the 2021 Organizer were you prompted to convert your 2019 catalog?  A catalog conversion does not move any of your folders.  So what do you mean when you say the conversion did not keep your folders intact

If you have restored your computer to a time before the installation of 2021, pay attention when you first launch the Organizer after installation.  If this is not the problem, then go to the File>Manage Catalogs dialog, click the Convert button and navigate to the location of your 2019 catalog.  Once you have selected it, the conversion will take place.  If you still have the 2019 program installed with the working catalog, you can find the location by clicking on the Help>System Info menu choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for responding!

Yes, I was prompted to convert my 2019 catalogue, which I did, and yes, when the files appeared in the new version, the folders were nothing like before. What I mean by this is folders on the left, they were not the way they actually appear on my hard drive. The names were completely different, etc., which I don't understand at all because they used to show up exactly as they were saved. In addition, I had no keywords, they completely disappeared.

After restoring my computer I launched the organizer again this morning and (thankfully) evertyhing was in tact. I've just gone through and cleaned it up and have run a complete back up. From another post on this forum, I learned of the name of the catalogue - which in my instance "should" be catalog.pse19db - but when I searched for that, nothing. I then discovered that I must have coverted my 2017 catalogue because I found catalog.pse17db. So at least now I know what I am looking for. If I convert this catalogue, will it update it to 2019?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's confusing but Elements 2019 is actually version 17.  Therefore, you found the correct database file:  catalog.pse17db. 

Elements 2021 is version 19. 

As for the way the folders are presented in the Folders tab, you need to be in the Tree view in order to see your folder organization according to your OS browser.  Perhaps you were in the List View which I believe is the default.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.10.20_15h25m03s_001_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Greg.

Here are my findings about where the Organizer is connected to ALL photos even if they do no appear in the Tree.  It is a mess.

E: > Toolkit > Backup > LAPTOP-R2726RS2_2 > c >Users > LENOVO Y530 CI7 > Pictures

E: > Toolkit > Backup > PC-RAYO > c > Users > LENOVO Y530 CI7 > Pictures

Windows (C:) > Usuarios > LENOVO Y530 C17 > Imágenes

Considerations:

To make the story short, my objective now is.

1. Move the right Catalog/Pictures including Tags, from Organizer 2019 (17) to Organizer 2023 (21).
  2. Stop using Organizer 2019 (17)
  3. Keep on useing Organizer 2023 (21).

With the conditions known so far, and considering the fact that I have a Backup good enough on an external device of the Organizer 2019 (17), please could you let me know if point (1.) above is possible?

Or, I must fix the Organizer 2019 (17) first?

Please, let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines