Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Upgrade from Elements 10

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone with experience in upgrading from windoes based PSE 10 (or even earlier) to the most current version 21; specifically migration of the organizer?  Did all of the tag data move over seamlessly?

TOPICS
Organizer, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Community Professional , Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021
There should be no problem with the conversion of a PSE 10 catalog to the current version.  However, some creations will not transfer over, e.g. slideshow projects.  You would need to export the slideshow to a video file in PSE 10, then import the video file into PSE 2021.  I don't remember for sure but Elements 10 People, Events, Places tags may not transfer over to the newer system tags.  I could be totally wrong about that - it's been too long since I converted an Elements 10 catalog.  If you...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021
There should be no problem with the conversion of a PSE 10 catalog to the current version.  However, some creations will not transfer over, e.g. slideshow projects.  You would need to export the slideshow to a video file in PSE 10, then import the video file into PSE 2021.  I don't remember for sure but Elements 10 People, Events, Places tags may not transfer over to the newer system tags.  I could be totally wrong about that - it's been too long since I converted an Elements 10 catalog.  If y

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be no problem with the conversion of a PSE 10 catalog to the current version.  However, some creations will not transfer over, e.g. slideshow projects.  You would need to export the slideshow to a video file in PSE 10, then import the video file into PSE 2021.  I don't remember for sure but Elements 10 People, Events, Places tags may not transfer over to the newer system tags.  I could be totally wrong about that - it's been too long since I converted an Elements 10 catalog.  If you run into any issues there, we can probably find a workaround for you.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be no problem with the conversion of a PSE 10 catalog to the current version.  However, some creations will not transfer over, e.g. slideshow projects.  You would need to export the slideshow to a video file in PSE 10, then import the video file into PSE 2021.  I don't remember for sure but Elements 10 People, Events, Places tags may not transfer over to the newer system tags.  I could be totally wrong about that - it's been too long since I converted an Elements 10 catalog.  If you run into any issues there, we can probably find a workaround for you.

By @Greg_S.

The new tag categories replacing normal keyword categories for people, places and events were introduced in PSE11, the following version. The transfer to the new categories is automatic and based on the names of the categories. For instance, if you you have renamed your people category to 'My people', nothing will be transferred and you'll still have the old keyword hierarchy. That was my choice because I don't use face recognition. So depending on your preference, you can keep the usual 'people' keyword name or rename it to a custom new name before converting.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your prompt response Greg.  Fingers crossed if I decide to upgrade as I have thousands of tagged photos.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SUCCESS !

I'm now answering my own question for anyone else out there who finds themselves in this position.  PSE 21 recognised statight away that my Catalog was in an earlier format and prompted / asked if I wanted it to update to the current format and did so without any known issues.  All tags and keywords appear to have come across OK in a very resobanelt timeframe too.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines