Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using 30 day Trial - Trying to import from my iphone14

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I have just downloaded Photoshop Elements 2024 onto my iMac M1 2021 machine running Monterey 12.7.2 on a trial for 30 days as a replacement for Apple Photos.  But at my first try, i have been unable to load any photos from my iPhone14 and although Organizer recognises the phone, it responds with "No valid files found"  I have 14,000 photos on my pone so the program should respond with some???

I have changed the settings on the phone>Transfer to Mac or PC> Keep originals

I have changed the iMac Settings>Privacy & Security>Full Disk access> for both Elements and Organizer.

Are there other settings to change?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

TOPICS
Import and export , Mac , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click on the Select Folder button, you will probably find that the boxes in the folder hierarchy are unchecked.  Check the boxes, click Browse and the files will be found.

Ashampoo_Snap_Tuesday, January 9, 2024_0h6m17s.png

If you find that you have two DCIM sub-folders in the folder hierarchy, only select one of them.  Otherwise, duplicate files may be imported.

Ashampoo_Snap_Tuesday, January 9, 2024_0h16m7s.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Greg

Thank you very much for your advice.  Unfortunately there is no Select Folder button visible.

Any other suggestions?

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tony, 

I believe this is an Apple phone problem related to iOS 13 and later versions and the interaction on Mac OS with third party applications such as Photoshop Elements.

I usually connect a Samsung external SSD to my Mac and then select batches of images in the Apple Photos App. From the menu I choose File > Export > Unmodified Originals 

They get saved to the SSD.

I then import into Organizer from the SSD to my Mac and in Elements Organizer choose to import from Files & Folders. The HEIC files then appear in Organizer and after backing up in Time Machine I can delete from the phone items not required.

Ironically I can connect my iPhone to my old W10 machine and browse the dated device folders. This is not possible on my Mac. I still receive a Windows downloader error message showing all the files as unsupported, but magically the HEIC files appear in Organizer, presumably because I have the Microsoft HEIC and HEVC codecs installed.

Downloader.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon

Thank you very much for your response, and yes there wasn't a Select Folder button visible as per Greg's response.

Your work around seems quite clunky..... as I am trying Elements as a better manager of photos than Apple Photos.  Do you think Lightroom Classic would have the same issue?

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use Lightroom classic successfully - see image below. It imports iPhone HEIC files like raw files, without problem. However it requires a subscription.

For Apple users PSE is limited to editing jpegs or similar files. Just like raw files the originals are preserved until the need to save edits. This is logical as Apple Photos saves edit adjustments in a sidecar file and exporting unmodified originals will ignore any edits already performed in Apple Photos.  But PSE offers layers, layer adjustments and masking etc.

Do keep trying PSE 2024 for the full 30 days. I have a series of YouTube videos which may help.

The connected iPhone is automatically recognised as a drive in Lightroom with all thumbnails selected for import

LRimport.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jon

Will have a look at the videos and will keep trying PSE.  You are right I was trying to get the functionality without a subscription, but if Lightroom Classic works “out of the box” then that may be a solution

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines