• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Photoshop Elements to upload Albums into an iPhone with the help of iTunes

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many years I have been syncing my iPhones with Photoshop Elements Albums. Having now some 100 Albums with a total of 37,000 images neatly organized so I can locate any of these images in no time.

But since Photoshop Elements 2022 this scheme doesn't work anymore. In iTunes the list of PSE Albums is empty and nothing can be synced.

Researching the problem I found the culprit. iTunes (latest version 12.12.4) does not look for the Album datafile of PSE 2022, but is still locked onto the datafile of PSE 2021.

This is obviously an Apple issue, but for Apple to update their iTunes it is necessary to get an idea how many users do depend on an update of iTunes to be able to update their photos on their iPhone with Photoshop Elements.

If enough users reply to this request, I can raise an issue at Adobe and Apple to bring out an update for iTunes that will enable us to upload photos into our iPhones using PSE Albums!

This is the way it should look (using PSE 2021, version 19):

imjack2_0-1662123473375.png

And this is the situation since Photoshop Elements 2022 arrived:

imjack2_1-1662123528601.png

TOPICS
Import and export , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

After having received a negative reply from Apple (that feature is not anymore supported) I did some testing.

The way I see it is as follows:

The PSE Organizer has a Catalog directory on the system hard drive in which every Catalog has its own subdirectory. The default location of the Catalog directory is:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\

In each subdirectory are all database files located that make up the Organizer. The file that iTunes needs to find all the Albums is called:

catal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today my iPhone was updated to iOS 16.0 and Apple's iTunes was updated to version 12.12.5.8.

Still, the situation has not changed and can I upload only images to my iPhone using an installed Photoshop Elements Organizer version 2021:

imjack2_0-1663493791278.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After having received a negative reply from Apple (that feature is not anymore supported) I did some testing.

The way I see it is as follows:

The PSE Organizer has a Catalog directory on the system hard drive in which every Catalog has its own subdirectory. The default location of the Catalog directory is:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\

In each subdirectory are all database files located that make up the Organizer. The file that iTunes needs to find all the Albums is called:

catalog.pse XX.db (XX is the current version number of PSE)

Every time (every year actually) Adobe brings out a new version, the name of this database changes and thus, new versions of iTunes need to be updated with the latest version of PSE.

AND THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED SINCE A FEW YEARS.

But there is a workaround for those PSE users that have older versions of PSE still laying around.

I have found the following combination PSE/iTunes working:

iTunes version 12.10.11.2 (can be downloaded from Apple's DL page) and PSE 2020 (version 18) &

iTunes version 12.12.5.8 and PSE 2021 (version 19).

The following steps are explained for iTunes version 12.10.11.2 and PSE 2020 (version 18); for iTunes 12.12.5.8 use the same steps but replace the number 18 with the number 19.

1. Uninstall the latest version of iTunes
  2. Download and install iTunes version 12.10.11.2
  3. If PSE2020 is still installed then you're OK. Goto step 6
  4. Install PSE2020
  5. Import in PSE2020 some images into a catalog, named f.i. ITUNES
  6. Close the PSE2020 Organizer program.
  7. Locate on your hard drive the catalog.pse XX.db file in the subdirectory of the catalog you want to use for synchronizing with iTunes and copy that file
  8. Locate the subdirectory with the name of the catalog you named in step 5.
  9. Paste inside that subdirectory the catalog.pse XX.db file.
  10. Delete the catalog.pse 18.db file and rename the catalog.pse XX.db into catalog.pse 18.db
  11. Connect your iPhone to the PC and open iTunes.
  12. Now you can synchronize your Albums with your iPhone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update
The latest iTunes version 12.12.8.2 now supports PSE2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it is necessary to end the task "Elements Auto Creations XX" in the Task Manager before you can delete and rename the catalog.pse18db or catalog.pse19db.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update

The latest iTunes version 12.12.10.1 now supports PSE2023.

Upon reviewing the procedure mentioned earlier for replacing the catalog file, I have detected some typographical errors:
catalog.pse 18.db must be catalog.pse18db

catalog.pse 19.db must be catalog.pse19db

and catalog.pse XX.db must be catalog.pseXXdb

Please ensure that the filenames contain only one decimal point and no spaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Important Update!!

Apple has recently updated iTunes to version 12.13.1.3.
This version supports fully Photoshop Elements 2024!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I used to do this and still want / need to.

I have just spent 50 mins on the phone withApple who say it is not their problem and they described what you have written above.

I am using Elements 2023 and iTunes 12.12 and the option to Sync with Elements does not appear.

So hopefully this adds to the wieght of replies for  yo uto get Adobe / Apple to resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to try the above workaround but is there an possibility to delete the "my Mac" photos on my iPhone now PSE 23 isn't working? (Don't want to erase everything of iPhone)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to try the above workaround but is there an possibility to delete the "my Mac" photos on my iPhone now PSE 23 isn't working? (Don't want to erase everything of iPhone)

You have thus several albums under "My Mac". Enter each of them and click on the blue select button at the top of the screen, then click at the top in the left-hand corner on the blue "Select all" button. 
Repeat this for all your albums you want to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines