• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using PSE 2021 on two different Window desktops on the same computer using same catalog

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to use PSE 2021 on two different Window desktops using the same catalog. My wife wants this so she can keep using her own copy so when she e-mails photos, it uses her e-mail address. I already have PSE on each desktop but her's does not link to the catelog on my desktop.If I can link her PSE to "my" catelog, the problem would be solved. Is this possible and how do I do it?

TOPICS
How to , Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sharing the same photos AND the same catalog (the database) is done by storing both on an external drive that you plug alternatively to each computer. The typical use is to have your library available instantly in a desktop or in a laptop when you go away. You only have to create a full backup on a dedicated backup external drive, followed by a restore to the destination external drive. Anything you do on a computer is immediately available to the other one.

However, sharing the same catalog between two persons is different than using two computers alternatively from the same person. Anything the first user does (including tagging, deleting, renaming or moving in the folder tree) is also done for the other user.

So, there are other ways including doing the backup and restoring directly into the secondary computer. The problem is that you can't easily 'update' the second computer: you have to repeat the backup and restore each time, which takes time (and disk space to create an updated photo folder tree and a new catalog before removing the old one for more safety).

A possible compromise would be to move the photos and the catalog to an external drive and also use the direct backup to the laptop at regular intervals.

- The library copy on the laptop is independent and does not imply risks for the 'master' library on the external drive. You can create different catalogs locally from copies of the original. You don't need access to the master external drive most of the time for mailing or browsing, except for the most recent photos. A plus for this solution is that the copy is a very useful backup in addition to the dedicated backup external drive.

- If you need instant update of the master library, just plug in the master external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines