• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using tags

Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop Elements 2020 and attempting to search for photos using tags.  When I attempt to find photos, I get a blank screen with "No media available. Please close applied filer and try again."  I have no idea what this means and how to clear applied filters.  

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Michel/Creg,

I think that I have found the problem!!  I noticed that pictures weren't checked in the View pull down.  Thanks so much for your time spent helping me.  Greatly appreciate the customer service.

Dan 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my screenshot below for the Clear (filter) button:

Snap_2022.01.16_10h53m15s_004.png

The message means that your search criteria has not found any relevant files.  There are a number of reasons why there are no files found even though you think there should be.  Give us more details about your search and we may be able to figure out the problem. Are you using the blue Search button? Are you simply clicking tag boxes?  Are you looking for Smart Tags?  Do you have a folder or date range selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought you addressed my problem, but that was before I opened the program and noticed that my screen doesn't show a "clear" button like the one you sent.  I was over anxious for a simple fix.   how do you get to the page with the "clear" button?

How was I searching?  I was clicking the box beside any of the tags and got the blank screen instead of pictures.  On the top, I have the "Media" category highlighted.  

I appreciate any help to fix the search and end my frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another situation when your files are 'filtered' without your entering a search criteria:  it's when you have selected a folder in the left folder in 'tree' mode. You have 'selected' the contents of the folder and there are no 'criteria' to clear. Just click on 'show all' and verify that show all is written on top of the thumbnails space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

You instructed me to click "show all".  I can't find that button.  Could you send a screen shot?

I'm sure it's frustrating helping learners, so thanks.  Learning this program is not easy, but I'm hoping to at least utilize 5%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

You instructed me to click "show all".  I can't find that button.  Could you send a screen shot?

I'm sure it's frustrating helping learners, so thanks.  Learning this program is not easy, but I'm hoping to at least utilize 5%.

By @Landcaster

AllMedia-2.jpg

When you have selected a folder in the left folder tree panel, you get the All media on the top left. Click on the < to go back to the grid with all files. Then the 'All media' text is shown on the middle in the second red ellipse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

. . .  And the Clear button will only appear if you have a search filter in place, either by checking a tag or by going through the Search facility that appears when you click the blue Search button in the top right of the screen.

[Michel, I love the dog in your screenshot.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm not able to solve the problem with the suggestions offered.  Any other ideas why I'm getting the "no media available/clear filters message."  I did see thumbnail pictures when I used the "search button",  but was unable to open anything from there.  I've spent several hours trying to figure this out so I'm hopeful you are able to think of something to help.  Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the search button which is a magnifying glass on the top right of the display?

If you get thumbnails as a result, you have to return to the normal grid .

Look on the very top left: you have [ < grid ]

Click on the < to switch back to the grid view.

The thumbnails shown on the search result page can't be access from there. You find them selected in the normal grid as a selection (= as filtered elements).

Then the 'clear' button should be visible and active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have a reason for my trouble, but am unsure.  I store my photos on a remote storage plug in on the computer D drive.  When I look at my tree listing (left side of the screen), and click on D drive, nothing happens.  That is a change.  Is there something that will enable the D drive on Elements.  By the way, I am able to open the files using Explorer on the computer.  Any ideas to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the Grid button that Michel is referencing:

Snap_2022.01.17_11h50m17s_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But we still need to figure out why you are unable to see any images in the grid when checking the tag boxes.  I'm guessing that you are trying to search for several tags.  You cannot use this simple approach to find alternative tags. For example if you want to find photos of Jack OR Jill, if you click both the Jack and Jill tag boxes, you will only see photos of Jack AND Jill.  If there are no such photos in your catalog, you will receive the no media message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actually imported the files from the D drive to your Organizer catalog?  If you have, you should see the thumbnails of the files in the media grid.  If you double-click on a thumbnail, do you see the image in full screen, or do you see a dialog come up saying that the file is missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

I am not able to access anything in the D drive when in the Organizer, but am able to from the tree when in Elements.  Yes, I always download images from my camera using the download feature.  I always, then tag pictures using the Organizer tags.  No, when searching, (using the tags), I only check one box.  
I can't get thumbnail pictures at all when in Organizer.  
The strange thing about my current problem is that everything used to work fine.  If I changed something by mistake recently to cause this problem, I'm unaware of it.  

Thanks for your continued help with any ideas.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

I am not able to access anything in the D drive when in the Organizer, but am able to from the tree when in Elements.

By @Landcaster

You mean you can open files from the editor when you browse the tree in the Windows explorer?

Could you post a screenshot like this of your left folders panel in tree mode?

tree mode-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel,

I am not knowledgeable enough on computers to do a screen shot, I'm sorry to say.  Worked in civil engineering field for forty years and advanced to management, leaving others working on computers.  That's why I struggle with Photoshop, but am determined to learn the basics and get things fixed here.

Anyway, I could take a picture and attach it to an email, but I'll need your address.  (unless you you have an easier way to show you the screen.)

landcaster (Dan)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel/Creg,

I think that I have found the problem!!  I noticed that pictures weren't checked in the View pull down.  Thanks so much for your time spent helping me.  Greatly appreciate the customer service.

Dan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Landcaster said:

I think that I have found the problem!! I noticed that pictures weren't checked in the View pull down. Thanks so much for your time spent helping me. Greatly appreciate the customer service.

That would do it!!

BTW, this is a user to user forum.  Neither Michel or I work for Adobe (despite the title we are given on the forum).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines