• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What newer Version PSE will import PSE13 Catalog targeted to run on Win10 or MacOS 11.1.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the backed-up PSE13 catalogs (originally running on Win8.1 machine).  The Win8.1 machine hard drive broke and was replaced and that machine now running win10.  Rather than re-install PSE13 (if that's even possible) on the now-win10 machine, I would rather import the PSE13 catalog to something (PSE13 or PSExx newer version or other application) running on imac macOS11.1.  Can someone tell me if the mac option is possible?  If not, will the latest version of PSE for win10 import the PSE13 catalog?  Thanks in advance.     

TOPICS
Download and install , Import and export , Mac , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The general rule is that any newer version is able to use a backup folder created by an old version. There is a two steps process:  restoring the media files and the old catalog, automatically followed by a 'conversion' to the new catalog format (the conversion creates a copy in the new format). You don't need to reinstall the old PSE version on the new computer.

I am not a Mac user, but the backups can be restored by both platforms.

Remember that Adobe only sells the latest and current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, regarding the windows platform, that's the answer I wanted to hear regarding importing a catalog from an earlier PSE version.  Thankyou!  Sam 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  know nothing about Macs but as I understand it, there is not full compatibility between the file systems.  So, if you backed up your catalog to an external drive using a Windows OS file system, I'm not sure that the same external drive can be read by your new Mac computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg for reminding me about the file systems' potential incompatibility.  I'll make sure the ext drive is readable by macOS...  but what really perplexes me is the directory structure and how will PSExx running on the Mac import the catalog and its inherent Windows structure?  Perhaps I'm over-thinking this and should just try it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sam,

When you're restoring a catalog there is an option to Restore Original Folder Structure. Without being in a situation where I can test this, I'd suggest that leaving that option unchecked would avoid any possible problems resulting from the two different filesystem structures.

Also, format the external hard drive as exFAT so it can be used by both Windows and macOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Phil for those tips:  I'll make sure to format the external drive as exFAT prior to using.  I'll also leave the checkbox unchecked (for "Restore Original Folder Structure") so as not to try to force file structure on MacOS.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines