• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What Organizer file to copy?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a new computer and was able to put PS Elements 2021 on it.  However, the old computer has all the files.

I need to copy or import the Organizer file with all my photos to the new computer but I don't know which of the many files in the Organizer is the correct one to copy.

Thanks for any help.

TOPICS
Import and export , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a new computer and was able to put PS Elements 2021 on it.  However, the old computer has all the files.

I need to copy or import the Organizer file with all my photos to the new computer but I don't know which of the many files in the Organizer is the correct one to copy.

Thanks for any help.

By @fotoman515

You have to follow the following procedure:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catalog-photoshop.html

This creates a backup folder on an external drive, which will be restored from the new computer resulting in:

- a restore of all the folder trees of your media files

- a restore of the catalog (the database)

- and an update of each item in the catalog to register the new location in the new drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently moving my catalogue from one PC to another using a backup file.   My backup file is 49Gb on a cloud drive.   Restoring to my new PC (an i7 based PC with 1Tb SDD) is taking a VERY long time (hours)...!   With hindsight,  it might have been better to copy the backup to my new PC SSD and restore from this file...??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If 49 GB is the size of your catalog backup, it's a rather small catalog (mine is over 700 GB and restoring from a conventional USB drive takes over 3 hours.)

I don't know how long it would take to download your full backup catalog folder to an internal or external USB drive, but I suspect you are right in doing so.

I store both my catalog and my photo files on the same SSD external USB drive and I store my full backups on conventional USB drives. That way, I can share my library and catalog between different computers just by plugging in the external drive alternatively to the other computers which have the same PSE version. Obviously for me, moving to a new computer with PSE  is just a matter of plugging the common library disk. Regular full backups are in order though...

How many internal drives are available, SSD or conventional and what size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines