• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where does Photoshop 14 store user data?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where does Photoshop 14 store user data? Recently moved all my photos to new computer. Reinstalled PSE, but it wants me to reload thousands of photos, which were all loaded and indexed on other computer. Years of work down the drain?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Organizer stores its information in a catalog folder.  The best way to transfer your catalog to a new computer is to do a backup and restore.   If you are able to do so, you can use the old computer to backup the catalog on an external drive and then restore the catalog on the new computer.  Depending on how you have organized your files on the new and old computers, you may end up with two sets of photos.  Once the restore has been successfully completed, you can delete the files that you simply "moved" to the new computer.  (There are probably ways to avoid this issue.) 

Let us know if the backup/restore option is not available for you.  In that case, you could perhaps copy just the catalog folder to the new computer (if you have not already done so) and you may then need to relink the files.  But first we need to know what your situation is.

For more information about moving files to a new computer and using the backup/restore option, see this HelpX Article.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old computer is toast, literally; but I do have complete backups of
everything that was on it. What is the name of the catalog file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog file is named catalog.pse14db.  If you have copied it to the new computer, simply double-click on it and the old catalog should open.  But as I said, depending on how you have moved the file structure to the new computer, the catalog may show the files as missing.  If you have not yet moved the catalog file structure to the new computer, you will need to also copy the entire folder containing the catalog.pse14db file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info ... but I have searched the backup and do not find
catalog.pse14db anywhere in the Adobe folder.

I do, however, find it in the new install of Photoshop on the new
computer, for what it's worth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default location for the catalog folder is C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs.  The catalog folder will have the name of the catalog (e.g. My Catalog), and the db file will be inside that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Success!

Found it, restored it.

Launched PSE and imported one file of photos. Worked like a charm.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines