• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Filter/Stylize/Solarize reduce luminance values to maximum 128?

Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why? It doesn't make sense to me and the result without further editing looks like crap. I know it's rather easy to use Levels or Auto Levels to correct for this flaw, but that increases the chances of introducing banding/posterization because of the additional, 

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should read: Why? It doesn't make sense to me and the result without further editing looks like crap. I know it's rather easy to use Levels or Auto Levels to correct for this flaw, but that increases the chances of introducing banding/posterization because of the additional, major editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the About Plug-In>Solarize in photoshop 4.0.1, the Solarize filter is supposed to emulate the Sabattier Effect.

https://lostlightphotography.com/sabattier-effect-detailed-step-by-step-tutorial/

sabef.png

In other sources it is said that the Photoshop Solarize filter inverts all color values above 128 or 50%. Color values below 50% are unchanged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Jeff for the detailed explanation and the link about history. I remember trying that effect in the darkroom...

The filter is supposed to reproduce the darkroom effect, which does indeed reduce the luminosity range.

In our digital photo era, as Jeff explains:

"In other sources it is said that the Photoshop Solarize filter inverts all color values above 128 or 50%."

You simply achieve that result by one of the two equivalent tools:

- the curves tool where you keep the left part unchanged and you drag the top right corner down, which gives the shape of a bell

- the gradient map adjustment layer tool, wich is another UI to achieve the same curve. (Can be used in luminosity mode).

About the risk of 'banding', you are not stretching the tones very much unless you want a very different look than the Sabatier effect. Don't forget than you can edit in 16 bits in Elements so long as you don't use layers.

- The solarize filter is available in 16 bits.

- The gradient map filter also

- If you use the Elements+ plugin, you can open your jpegs in 16 bits, add curves adjustments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jeff and Michel, thanks for your replies. I can see how the filter was originally designed to mimick the effect with film, although that effect never appealed to me. I'm exploring solarization with full 0-255 output levels and get some pretty awesome results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines