• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Doesn't The Automatic Colorize Tool Work?

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warner-Photoshop-2020.jpg

This old blank and white photograph has been automatically colorized, using Photoshop Elements 2020. As anyone can see, the tool hasn't done much at all. I know that I could use the section tool, choose colors, and colorize this picture manually. But, Adobe claims that Photoshop 2020 should colorize old photos, like this one, automatically. I have read, and watched the tutorials. This picture has been formatted correctly, and everything was done in accordance with the instructions. This tool just does not work very well.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»But, Adobe claims that Photoshop 2020 should color old photos, like this one, automatically.«

I usually try to read the What’s New-section for the new Photoshop versions but I seem to have missed that – could you provide a link to an Adobe page documenting such an automatic feature? 

And are you talking about Photoshop or Photoshop Elements? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, it seems Photoshop Elements has a »Colorize Photo«-feature … 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/colorize-photo.html

So why don’t you post (including your source image and the result) over on the Photoshop Elements Forum? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It looks like the image has already been colored in the darkroom as it has a sepia tone. So your only auto choices may be a cyanotype or platinum look for the overall image. Otherwise  you would need to switch to manual and use the droplets to color selective parts which would be time consuming.

Warner-Photoshop-2020[1].jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines