• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is the Magnetic lasso tool size not accurate?

Mentor ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In working with the magnetic lasso tool,  I come to realize that a magnetic lasso tool size of 100, for example, is not 100 pixels wide, why is that? 

2021-03-26_162626.jpg

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

From the User Manual:

(Optional) Set Magnetic Lasso tool options in the Tool Options bar:

• To specify the area of edge detection, enter a pixel value between 1 and 256 for Width. The tool detects edges only within the specified distance from the pointer.

If you change your cursor, from Precise to Standard (in Preferences), you will see that the size/diameter of the cursor is really of no consequence.  The tool width is measuring (in pixels) how far it should look from the center of the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the User Manual:

(Optional) Set Magnetic Lasso tool options in the Tool Options bar:

• To specify the area of edge detection, enter a pixel value between 1 and 256 for Width. The tool detects edges only within the specified distance from the pointer.

If you change your cursor, from Precise to Standard (in Preferences), you will see that the size/diameter of the cursor is really of no consequence.  The tool width is measuring (in pixels) how far it should look from the center of the pointer to detect the edge of the object that is being selected.

Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes it does, The diameter of the "precise" magnetic lasso as depicted in my original post is essentially of no pratical use then, correct?   My personal preference has always been the precise brush with the crosshair... I'll stick with that and just sorta ignore the circle around  it. 

My 2021-03-26_175709.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines