• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

will Photoshop elements 2021 work with the new M1 chip and big sur

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will Photoshop elements 2021 work with the new M1 chip and big sur I am thinking of buying a mini mac that has the new M1 chip in would it work.

TOPICS
Download and install , Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have been working on some old photos of our daughters that I have scanned in and re-touched on a new Mini Mac 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I wonder why Elements is not mentioned as a compatible app in Adobe's article on the M1 chip and app compatibility?

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html

What you're saying seems to contradict that article.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have absolutly no idea, as we talk I am re-touching a photo that was taken about 33 years ago scanned in on a Cannon LiDE 400 and useing Photoshop Elements and a Wacom Intuos Pro S, but I am no expert in useing all the tools but I haven't come across anything I can't do on it, it is a big learning curve as I have been a windows user since windows 3.1 and went to being a Mac user because they are supposed to be so much better than windows for image manipulation, and I have to say it is so much quicker than my windows P.C. running a i7 (8th gen) and 8 Gb of ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Martin 1957.

Let us know what version of PSE you are using with your new Mac and the M1 Chip.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Photoshop elements 2021.

Regards

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All Macs with the M1 chip have Rosetta which allows Intel-based application, like Photoshop Elements 2021 to run on the M1 computers.  Hower, the application is not optimized to run straight to M1 chip.  When a version that is optimized for the M1, we should see a big boost in performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working fine with Big Sur and the new M1 MacBook Air - running PSE 2020. The Imagenomic Portraiture plugin working beautifully as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks szilasi,

appreciate your respone.  I am using pse 2020 also on a desktop with Catalina. Will be buying a new macbook air in a month or so.   Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it works!   I recently migrated from an Intel MacBook Air to an M1 MacBook Air.   I had a little trouble at first with PSE 2021 on the new M1.   Organizer worked fine, but Elements PhotoShop editor kept prompting me for id and password and even when I entered ID and password it just went back to the same prompt over and over again and never started the editor.   To solve the problem, I completely uninstalled ALL Adobe apps (include Reader).  Not just deleting the apps from the list of applications but by deleting the  any file or folder that had 'adobe' in the name on the ENTIRE disk.   Then I downloaded and reinstalled PSE 2021 and everything is now working just fine -- including the Elements Photoshop editor.   I did have to re-enter by serial number -- even don't have it on file I think you can find it by logging into your account on the Adobe web site.   Maybe what I did was overkill; if you have the same problem I had you might try just uninstalling PSE by simply deleting it from the list of Applications and then re-installing.   But if that doesn't work try my approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have had no issues with Elements 2021 with the MacAir 1. I just upgraded since Adobe offered a deal instead of trying the 2020. So far most programs have worked fine. Still sorting out IDrive for some reason. It should be ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using PSE 2021 on a Mac Mini with Big Sur OS 11.2.3 and the M1 chip.  I have not been having a very good experience at all.  In fact it's been painful working in Organizer trying to add keywords, places, events, etc. to my 65000+ photos.  I am adding one folder at a time & identifying faces first then adding the rest of the information.  This is what's happening:

1.  I may be halfway through a folder and it jumps back to the beginning of the folder.  There is no quick way to get back to where I was because scrolling only moves 1 to 2 lines at a time.  This happens over and over and wastes a lot of my time.

2.  When working in "People" to identify unnamed faces, if I backspace out an incorrectly identified name from a "unnamed" face, it crashes every single time.  I have to open the individual faces for that stack, highlight them and then name them.  Also, many of the "People" thumbnails under "Named" people are blank - e.g. someone might have 20 identified faces but when you expand to see them all half may have photos and have a just gray circles with a generic figure.

3.  Some place names won't show up under "Places" tag or "Image" tag when I click on the photo; however, the map will show there are photos at that place.

4.  When I click on a thumbnail to see the photo larger, many times it's either blurry or it flashes and goes back to thumbnails.

5.  When I edit a photo going from Organizer to Editor, I can make the edits but when I send it back to Organizer I get an error that says "IAC operation failed."

I have a ticket in with Adobe and on the first call they made some security changes to my computer to allow the program accessibility and did a couple other things.  That didn't change anything.  I asked them to leave my ticket open and they were supposed to follow up in a couple days.  A week later they called when I was not home.  I called back, was transferred to the wrong department and had to call back.  I did and was disconnected.  Then I got another email asking if they could close my ticket.  I'm attaching the document I sent them in response.  I had an issue with regular Photoshop that was resolved by using Rosetta; however, this doesn't look like an option for PSE.  

So after all that, is anyone else having similar problems??  I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this. Thank you!

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the issue that Photoshop Elements Editor 2021 will not open on my MacBook Air (M1) with big Sur 11.2.3. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program several times, but no success so far. PSE 2021 works fine on my 2018 MacMini (Intel), also running Big Sur 11.2.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the workaround my son found.  It worked for me:  https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360010493999-Luminar-AI-now-not-working-in-Mac...

All of my plugins now work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSE 2021.2 which came out 17th March seems to have done the trick. PSE Editor now launches without issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed the update to Big Sur 11.3 yesterday and now the PSE Organizer hangs immediately after it starts.  I have to force quit it everytime.  The photo editor and the "home page" app run just fine.

New install (only about a week old) of PSE 2021...fully up to date. 

Running on a MacBook Air with the M1 chip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was your install working fine before upgrading to 11.3?   I've been using 11.2.3 on my M1with no trouble at all but will be careful not to upgrade to 11.3.   Thanks for the heads up!  

It continues to be very disappointing that we are not hearing anything from our friends at Adobe about this issue.   All their website says is they are working on a M1 release for their apps, but doesn't mention PSE specifically.  We are going on 6 months or more since Apple released the M1 line.  How long does it take to recompile and test?    I guess PSE is way down on the priority list for Adobe because they don't make enough money off of PSE customers.  I tried Lightbox as my photo organizer but the import from PSE Organizer process changed the dates on a large number of my photos to the date of import.   It changed the dates in the PSE catalog before running the import if you can believe it.  What kind of import software changes the source of the import?   It was a good thing I had a recent backup because I had to restore the PSE catalog from backup to get my photo dates back.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, everything was working just.  Don't know for sure the problem is due to Big Sur 11.3, but the timing makes it the most likely candidate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

michaelb6251476 -- I was wondering if you've had a chance to try BigSur 11.3.1 and if that helps with your PSE problems.   I've been holding off on 11.3 based on your bad experience with it so it would be nice to know if 11.3.1 is any better.   Thanks for sharing your experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update -- I have updated my MacBook Air M1 to BigSur 11.3.1 and find that Photoshop Elements Organizer and Editor are still working normally.  No problems that I can see.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does. I recently purchased a Macbook Pro M1 and installed my Adobe photoshop elements and premiere elements and they work fine. Mac will ask you to install Rosetta first. It's a patch to run apps that were native to the Intel chip. After that, both apps work. However, kinda disappointed that the performance did not meet my expectations. With the $$ I spent on the laptop, I was expecting LIGHTNING fast response as opposed to seeing that dreaded rainbow wheel. Maybe the 2021 adobe series will work better. I have the 2020 versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently bought a Mac mini M1 with 16Gb RAM 1Tb HD running Big Sur 11.3.1 and unfortunately, Organizer 2021 is not usable at all.  It freezes up and hangs every now and then, when scrolling it will continue scrolling for minutes and not respond.  My library is roughly 33000 files and sits on my local HD so that is not the issue.  I think it's just safe to say that Adobe Organizer does not work on the M1 chip for me at all.  I just hope this will change (I just bought the PS / Illustrator Elements suite without checking whether or not it'll work)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think you'll find that the performance issues you are experiencing with the Elements Organizer have nothing to do with the fact that it is running on a Mac with an M1 chip and macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur.

It is much more likely that the Organizer is running its media-analysis processes in the background on your catalog of 33,000 images.

You can either let the Organizer finish its analysis - which in your case, could be a few days or so - or you can turn off these features by going to Elements Organizer > Preferences > Media-Analysis and unchecking all the Settings and Options checkboxes:

Screenshot 2021-05-24 205409.jpg

Hope that helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunatelt I have disabled all the media analysis and left it runnig for several days after that but it is still unusable. I have left the media analysis to finish at one point as well and then disabled it when I found the tip in another forum.  I have given up on organizer and I'm now trying Adobe Bridge instead.

Thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started this original thread at least a month or so ago.  I have conferenced with a couple of the developers and they are aware of the problems I'm having, which are the same as what you all have stated.  I have over 65k photos in Organizer.  It is painfully slow to scroll and jumps around when I get to a photo part way down so that I have to start over.  I did NOT have these issues with the same amount of photos on my Windows 10 desktop.  I am running PSE 2021.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I started a similar thread, not this exact one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines