• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will unchecking the "layers" box when saving a TIF file affect the quality of a print of the image?

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an artist creating files that I can send to a printer to create high quality prints.  The printer's upload system won't take more than 100MB.  I have a TIF file of my work that is 133MB.  I noticed that if I uncheck the "layers" box when I save the TIF file / check the "save as a copy" box, the file size falls to less than 100MB.  My question is:  Will unchecking this box change the overall quality of the print?  I know I won't have layers to play with in Photoshop, and that's fine.  I am only concerned with the quality of the print.  Thank you

TOPICS
Creative , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quality of the print is detemined by the resolution of the file and by the physical printer.

For printing, the rule of thumb is for the resolution to be in the 240-300 px/in. range.

The print head of the printer determines the dots/in (DPI) output.

Other variables are the type of paper and ink (original manufacturer vs. generic).

If the goal is to get to 100 MB, I invariably go to File>save for web and you can readily change this parameter.  Be sure that the "Constrain Proportions" box is checked.

Does your commercial print shop identify the file format that they prefer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.  The files are set up exactly like the printer requires.  And I've gotten proofs printed at a size of 8.5x11 which came out well.  Now I have an order for 16x20 - so that's why the file size has gotten larger.  I don't want to change anything about how the file is set up for printing, but also want to get the file size down.  I'll look at file - save for web.  Thank you.  Will just unchecking the layers box not work? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The print quality shouldn't change between layers vs no layers.

In the photoshop elements editor you can view your image at 100% (actual pixels) and then go to Layer>Flatten Image and see if your image changes visually on the screen. How the image looks can sometimes change when flattened if certain layer blending modes have been used, but if you don't see any change after flattening your image, then it should be fine to save the tiff without layers for print.

You can see your image at 100% (actual pixels) by going to View>Actual Pixels or double clicking on the Zoom Tool icon in the toolbox.

File>Save for Web will not save as Tif files and also deletes the metadata that includes image resolution so i would not use Save for Web for your particular file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is very helpful - thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines