• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2 minute delay when deleting photos from organizer

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop elements 2018 organizer. (16.0) when I delete photos from organizer, it takes 2 minutes for the deletion to be complete. it doesn't matter if i am deleting 1 or 6, 2 minutes. 

Windows 10 home version 2004 but in photoshop, it has my system as windows 8. 

Called Adobe and they no longer support 2018 so asking here. can anyone help? 

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Performance , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you turn off all auto-analysis?  Does it make any difference?  Can you see any activity in Task Manager while the deletion is taking place.  Try resetting the preferences file. Immediately after launching the program, press Alt+Shift+Ctrl. A message should pop up asking if you want to delete the Settings file. Answer OK.

I don't usually try to spend other people's money, but for me, Elements 2021 has much better performance than Elements 2018 did with respect to the People room.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg. I am not tech savy at all but i did manage to find auto
analysis and it was off. I then watched the task manager when the files
were deleting, not sure at all what i was watching for, but noticed the
very high power usage and speed 3.05 GHZ. again, don't know what that
means.
The alt, shift,ctrl did not bring up anything so i was unable to delete the
settings file unless you can give me other directions to it.
I thought about upgrading but am i trading one set of issues for another?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try pressing the Alt+Shift+Ctrl keys before launching the Organizer.  Otherwise, you can manually delete the preferences files.  See this article for instructions.

As for upgrading, I can tell you that there has been a big difference in performance working in the People room since Elements 2018, both in speed and accuracy of face recognition.  You can get a 30 day free trial of Elements 2021 to see for yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Greg but none of the suggestions are working. i did see a couple of things that makes me think that something on my system is not correct. i am contacting my computer guys today. 

I appreciate all the suggestions and am keeping them, just in case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the free version to see whether it makes a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, i am a little hesitant. Do i need to remove 2018 for the trial 2021? 

Also, I have taken another look at the task manager when deleting and realized that i hadn't used the drop down which shows Elements 2018 organizer and when it is deleting, says that it is not responding. what's that mean? I am not an IT person and suddenly feel as if I need to be and I just want it to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to be hesitant about using the trial of Elements 2021.  The two programs are totally independent and can coexist on the same machine.

When you install the trial, you will be given the opportunity to convert your existing catalog.  This will create a backup of your old catalog and rename it with a -1 suffix.  It can still be used in 2018.  The new 2021 catalog will have all of your tags etc.  The only thing you need to watch out for is if you play around with 2021 and decide to go back to your 2018 catalog, most of the work you perform e.g. naming faces will have to be repeated.  Also, if you delete any files from your computer while using the new version, those deleted files will show up as missing in your old catalog.  (Easy to fix.)

As for Task Manager showing that EO is non-responsive, this is somewhat normal (and misleading).  You should watch the activity columns to see if there are any changes.  If there are, it means that the program is actually doing something - in your case, finding and deleting files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Well Greg, I download the trial of 2021 and am able to continue sorting
through my pictures for duplicates. It is working much faster and I had no
issues downloading everything into the program.
I haven't worked in editor yet, but will before making a final decision.
Thank you for helping me spend money! LOL. It is working great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines