• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2021 PSE Catalog Structure Messed Up - Follow Up

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much of my PSE 2021 Catalog Structure has now been icorrected following your advice.

Remaining issues are shown on the attached Catalog Structure PDF.

They revolve around two issues:

1. Two users: RGant and RGantz instead of just RGantz.

2. OneDrive in the structure which I don't intend to use

Thanks.....Ron

TOPICS
Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  You must have two user accounts on your computer.  (Or else, you somehow copied the file structure over from one computer to another.)

2.  The OneDrive folder is an OS issue.  Take a look at this Microsoft article to determine how you want to handle it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Never intended to have two user accounts. Now that I am there, how do I unwind it?

2. Think I aquired OneDrive when I recently transferred from my old computer to a new one and used Dell Migrate.  I think I recall an option to install OneDrive in the process.  My mistake.  Now again, how do I unwind it?

On both of these issues, I'm very concerned about using the OS, or even asking Dell to resolve them, since Adobe Photoshop Elements cautions strongly about changing the folders and file structure outside of using the PSE program to do it.  I.e. 

If I delete One Drive in the OS, will PSE automatically correct for it?

If I delete the RGant accouunt in the OS, will PSE automatically correct for it?

Thanks.....Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron,

I'll skip long explanations about what has happened because that will not help towards a solution... and because I don't know how the Dell Transfer works and your situation relative to the OneDrive folder.

What would I do now?

The OneDrive folder may be used if you decide to 'Sync' your documents and/or Pictures from your computer to the Microsoft Cloud. You set up the service, and the 'OneDrive' folder becomes a special folder managed by Windows to mirror all changes between computer and Cloud. It's not clear in your transfer history if the 'OneDrive' folder is really active for syncing now. If you don't want to use the feature now, you would have to verify it's not active and that nothing is mirrored to the cloud.

My suggestion now is to do a full backup of the present situation.

Then you need to decide where to store your catalog and files trees for the restore process.

Either you have enough free space on your computer (internal drives) or you opt to keep your library (catalog and files) on a dedicated external drive (temporarily or definitively).

You create your own master folder just under the top level, for instance C :/My private library.

Restore by specifying that folder as the restore destination, preferably ticking the option to keep the same folder structure.

The original catalog and tree structure will remain (still messed) as it is and a distinct installation and catalog will be available with about the same look and structure, but outside of the system 'User' or 'OneDrive' folders.

You'll have first to clean up the useless empty folders in the hierarchy as it seems you have already done, from the organizer obviously.

And you'll have to remove the old messed folder trees and the old catalog as well as the content of your OneDrive system folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Created a new folder C: My PicVid Library.  It has subfolders for Catalogs, Pictures, Projects, Videos.

Looks clean and straight forward.

Let me know if this looks like what you intended.

Thanks for your help! .......Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron,

You don't state if you have made a full backup and restore to achieve the 'clean' looking structure?

Could you post a screenshot of the folder tree seen from the folders panel of the Organizer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did a full backup and restore to C: MyPicVid Library/

Screen shot attached.......RonScreenshot (5).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks fine for me.

So, now your task will be to delete the old media files in your system 'Pictures' folders and the old catalog. Anyway, keep the backup until the deletion has been tested.

Did you solve the OneDrive problem and check if your files were really synced to the Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Problem solved.

1. As I reported earlier, moving my pictures and my videos to My PicVid Library in the root directory solved the PSE issues.  Now, I am in the normal process of moving subfolders around to straighten up years of disorganization. But, all is well.  Am also pleased with how fast PSE 2021 works on my new computer.  Not sure if it is PSE 2021 improvements or the new solid state hard drive.  Probably both.

2. I have finally deleted One Drive from my computer.  I did not intend to use it, but clicked on the box to install it when transferring files from the old computer to the new computer.  A big mistake and very difficult to unwind.  But all is now well.

Thanks for your assitance!  

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines