• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ACR in Elements 2018 Difference between "Save Image" and "Done"

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure of the different functions of "Save Image" and "Done" in the ACR converter and when to use each.

I think that "Done" saves the file in the same RAW format as it was imported with, but with an xmp side car file attached.

The new RAW file is identical to the original imported file and the edit changes are not performed on the file.

All the editing data is contained in the .xmp file, which is saved alongside the RAW file. The original RAW file is not converted to a usable format. It retains the original RAW format, say a .NEF format from a Nikon?

Is this correct?

If it is correct, if I need to copy the RAW file for use elsewhere, say to a flash drive do I also need to copy the the.xmp file with it? If I delete the .xmp file have I lost all the edit data? 

If I want to alter one of the edits on the edited file do I have to import both the edited  .NEF file and its .xmp file?,

or does the edited NEF file automatically bring the "side car" file with it? 

I am not sure what purpose the " Save Image" command performs. I think it converts the RAW file to a format recognised by Photoshop. I am not sure if the edited data is embedded in the file, and if the original file has been non-destructively edited. 

Is the original RAW file retained?

If I use "Open Image" to export the edited RAW file to the Editor and then save it as a .psd file, can this file be re-imported into ACR and will it reflect the original editing changes on the sliders or will ACR regard it as a new file to be edited with all the sliders set to zero? Is the .psd file also a non destructive edit?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

When you open a RAW file in Camera Raw, you can make multiple adjustments to the file and then proceed as desired. 

The option to save the file allows you to save the file in a DNG format with the adjustments/edits you have performed. DNG is a non-propriatary format which can be opened using various applications. When you open the DNG file, Camera Raw is able to show you the image along with the edits.

When you click on done, an xmp is created which saves all your edits alongside the original RAW file since the RAW formats (NEF, CR2, CR3, etc.) are propriatary to the camera manufacturer and hence the original files can not be altered. When you open the RAW file again, Camera Raw is able to detect the XMP (since it is saved with the same name as the RAW file) and show you the edits performed.

When you open the RAW file in Photoshop Elements, after editing it in Camera Raw you can edit the file further and save it as a PSD which would have the further edits stored in layers. Till the time you do not merge the layers or save the file as a JPEG or any other compressed format, you can still access the edited RAW file using the background layer (first layer) of the PSD.

Regards

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your very lucid explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I pressed "enter" and submitted the incomplete file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done it again!!! I am not sure how to start a new line without hitting the "Enter" key, so I will just type straight through. Just to clarify: If I open a dng file, will it open in ACR with all the sliders as I had positioned them before saving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This becoming a farce!!! I did it again. If on the other hand I use "Done", the edits are saved as an xmp file. If I delete the xmp file am I left with the original, out of the camera, RAW file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Correct. The XMP file is what contains the edits performed on the RAW file. If the XMP is deleted, the edits are lost. In the DNG you save through Camera Raw, the sliders would appear with the adjustment levels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines